Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Alternatives to Kaleidescape

Old Mar 28th, 2012

Default Maybe it's time...

I hate to even create a forum with this name, but given recent events and legal decisions, it may be worth discussing what else is out there that can permit the core Kaleedescape-type experience for DVD collections.

Looking forward to thoughts from those who have tried these systems...

--josh

Last edited by josh; Mar 28th, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Apr 20th, 2012

Its been a while but from everything I tried they all suck compared to the Kaleidescape.
Including that garbage Max from AMX which I don't even think exists anymore.
Old Apr 20th, 2012

I don't even know what is to stop Kaleidescape, should they lose their appeal, from just dropping DVD-CCA license and going to "install your own program into our server" route.

Their system might be a non-windows based program, but their old bulk loader ran on Windows XP. At issue is the loading, not the playback. If there is no CSS, then they don't need a license from the DVD CCA to play back the content on the server.

Technically, Kaleidescape would not even have to release such a produce - a person could create a bulk loader that strips CSS and loads to various media servers on the market, such as Kaleidescape or a network attached storage device. If that person got their hands on an old bulk loader controller, they might be able to produce it without even soliciting help from Kaleidescape although I have not tried this and don't know what challenges one could encounter. If a person made a small windows computer that could attach to a 200 disc carousel, strip out the CSS via AnyDVD or similar program and upload it to a server, I would bet they could sell quite a few of those if that gave an end-around to the injunction, should it stand. Of course, those would likely have to ship out of Hong Kong or some other country that has substantially different interpretations of copyright laws.

Maybe I am naive or getting wishful thinking, but I don't believe this fight is lost.
Old Apr 20th, 2012

I don't think you're off track at all.

For me, I will tell you that like many others Im basically over DVD anyway. there are still a few things I get on DVD because I have to but the reality is I've become very happy with my Apple TV for things that Im going to watch once as opposed to adding to my collection.
Old Oct 10th, 2013

I haven't had any trouble importing DVD's to Cinema One. Is that going to change?
Old Oct 13th, 2013

Should be OK for a while... the case and legal maneuvering drags on...