Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Question Kaleidescape in an RV?

We know Kaleidescape has a good business in yachts, but I'm wording if any dealers/installers (or owners) have successfully installed a system into an RV?

The technical issues have to be very similar, though I imagine one would need to pay more attention to power draw issues and ensuring that the K would only be available when plugged in to shore power (though it's probably possible to power it via a decent generator).

Also - a few follow-up questions:

1) I have a premier (3U+BR disc vault & grandfathered DVD import) and Strato system at home, how would I manage my movie library between home system and RV system? Can I just copy movies from one server to another before a trip? I've never tried the interface with two distinct servers assigned to my account.

2) Does the answer to #1 above change if I install a premier-line server into the RV vs. a Strato? Open to either as I probably won't have a real 4K display in the RV for a while.

any other issues to consider?

I welcome any thoughts...

Thanks all!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

From a movie library management standpoint, the RV is a separate system (think of having a system in a vacation home - I guess the RV qualifies as such). So any content loaded on your home premiere and or encore system won't be accessible on your RV system. All of your K store account content however will be able to download onto your RV system (up to 5 systems can share a store account).

So for your RV you have to decide how elaborate of a setup you want. You could probably start with a single C1 2nd gen or Alto in the RV if you already have a lot of K store account content available to download. If you do the C1 route, you could also import your DVDs too. Adding a 2nd C1 linked to the first would double capacity and give a 2nd viewing zone for say the bedroom TV. Doing BRs is a problem because you would need a vault in your RV which will probably not like being knocked around on the road for very long.

If you want 4k, then stepping up to a Strato box or two is probably the next step. For me if I had a modest RV, I would look to do the minimum number of components to simplify things a much as possible. A full blown premiere server with multiple players and costars connecting to Stratos is a lot of infrastructure to install and troubleshoot when things go wrong on the road.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

HI Josh, we are finishing our RV install now. I have a 2019 Renegade Verona and installed a Control4 system, Kaleidescape, and dish tv using a video matrix switcher to share all sources with 3 TV's. We are working on integrating the lighting and 2 HVAC systems next.

The Coach has an Araknis Router, Switch and WAP installed. It also has an ATT wireless modem.

This is what I do.

When its home in my driveway:
Cat6 line ran from the existing home network to the coach switch. (Disconnect the coach router)
I also have a Dish Joey connected to the Coach switch so it can play all of the content on the main house Hopper. There is a Strato 12 (separate kscape system) in the Coach that also shares the library with the main home terra servers. Can also easily manage and download the movies on the coach strato

When the coach hits the road

Home switch gets disconnected from coach switch and the coach router gets connected. (cell modem is now active also) (this is all very easy since I ran all cat 6 cables to the coach connection location.
The strato now can only play movies that are stored on its hard drive, so, I have some duplicate movies on the strato and the terra. Since Dish Joey wont work when on the road, I also have a Dish Wally connected to the coach dish on the roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4633.jpg (270.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4635.jpg (263.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Kaleidescape, Inc.

The popcorn machine is a great touch! :-)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thats a fantastic setup @carajo! Very cool... and appreciate the full description. Now i have to decide how much time and effort to put in on this.
@AlienWarlock - yes, you may be right. Easiest is probably a stand-alone RV Strato that just pulls down my library movies when i'm at home or connected via a good network connection for a (long) while.
Thanks all!