Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old May 17th, 2017

Question Audio drop out

Audioguy

Did you solve your audio drop out issue?

CeeDubya
Old Jun 10th, 2017

I continue to have audio drop outs and freezes with my Alto with downloads. Just watched John Wick 2 and there were many (I just finished watching it. It is 1:54PM on Saturday, June10th.) This Alto is a replacement so is very new. I can only assume it has something to do with my internet connection but very, very very frustrating. Doesn't seem to happen (at least as fr3quently) when I load a disc or use the DV700. It makes me want to quit buying anything from the store and certainly never consider a Strato.

I know I can delete it and re-downlaod but that unacceptable - and may not fix the issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Someone said previously it might be the RS20i. I get no dropouts from an Oppo 203, DirecTV or Amazon.

HELP !!!
Old Jun 10th, 2017
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Hi audioguy,

That behavior is definitely not normal. We should open a support case so that it can be investigated. A couple of things it's almost certainly not: it's not something where a new download will help. And, it's not related to your Internet connection (which is not needed/used at all during playback).

Could you please drop me a PM with your email address and the serial number of your Alto (which you can find in the System->Status->System Summary area of the Main Menu).
Old Jun 10th, 2017

Given that Mike indicated a new download will not help, you should contact your dealer and start a Support case. You indicate you want to quit buying from the store so I assume this is happening to most, if not all of titles you download, and that would certainly point to the equipment, especially given the number of downloads that occur on a daily basis that have no issues. I own both, Alto and Start, and every M-class player (and the RS20i), buy frequently from the Store, and have never experienced a problem with any downloads during playback. Have support take a look, and then RMA the Alto if necessary.

Jim
Old Jun 11th, 2017

I will send Mike the information he requested. (a) this is a very new replacement Alto and had similar problems on the last one (it completely froze and had to be replaced) (b) when I posted this on an Alto thread on AVS, I got a response from someone who had the identical issue with the same movie [see attachment] (c) it does NOT happen on most titles I download but multiple issue on one title is too many and on multiple titles, unacceptable and that is why I will refrain from buying from the store until a solution to my issue gets worked out. And I have every confidence it will.

I have personal experience that K's customer support is incredible. I posted this to see if it is just me or other are having a similar issue. And as you can see from my attachment, at least one other person is!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 8.11.07 AM.jpg (118.3 KB, 15 views)
Old Jun 11th, 2017

I personally think it is playing Dolby Atmos (or the underlying Dolby TrueHD) movies from an Alto. I watched that movie from my Strato and didn't have a single dropout. It is Dolby Atmos. The reason it is not reported often is that most store movies are DTS and I've never had a dropout from that....
Old Jun 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
I personally think it is playing Dolby Atmos (or the underlying Dolby TrueHD) movies from an Alto. I watched that movie from my Strato and didn't have a single dropout. It is Dolby Atmos. The reason it is not reported often is that most store movies are DTS and I've never had a dropout from that....
In addition to the audio dropouts, I also had a complete freeze that EVENTUALLY started playing again.
Old Jun 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy123 View Post
I will send Mike the information he requested. (a) this is a very new replacement Alto and had similar problems on the last one (it completely froze and had to be replaced) (b) when I posted this on an Alto thread on AVS, I got a response from someone who had the identical issue with the same movie [see attachment] (c) it does NOT happen on most titles I download but multiple issue on one title is too many and on multiple titles, unacceptable and that is why I will refrain from buying from the store until a solution to my issue gets worked out. And I have every confidence it will.

I have personal experience that K's customer support is incredible. I posted this to see if it is just me or other are having a similar issue. And as you can see from my attachment, at least one other person is!!

Sorry, reread my post, didn't mean to sound questioning, was intended to point out that Mike was likely correct about it being a hardware issue if you were experiencing the problem with most Store content. Support has often advised folks with a bad playback title to delete it, then download again. This has apparently solved some drop out problems in the past. If other folks are experiencing the problems with the same title, but others are not, then we should try to determine what these owners have in common to evaluate if that could be the cause. It's obviously harder to do if only a dozen or so folks report a problem while hundreds, or thousands, seem to be okay with the title. Audio dropouts are annoying, and frankly for me would be distracting to the point of taking me "out of" the story. Hopefully they'll resolve this for you soon.

Jim
Old Jun 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
Support has often advised folks with a bad playback title to delete it, then download again. This has apparently solved some drop out problems in the past.
I was told to do the same thing in the past as well. BUT --- I have now watched the movie so have little interest in deleting and re-downloading and then re-watching to see if the issue is resolved. But even if that eliminated the freezes/dropouts, it is not the solution I seek. It just should not happen. I paid a premium for the hardware (compared to an Oppo which never exhibits this issue) and typically pay a bit more for the movie than I pay for the shiny disc. And all of that is OK ---- AS LONG AS I GET AT LEAST THE SAME AUDIO/VIDEO QUALITY THAT I GET WITH SHINY DISC - and I am most certainly do not on a consistent basis.

Hopefully, the technical folks inside K will find a solution - sooner rather than later.

Old Jun 11th, 2017

Can't argue with that...

Jim