Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old Sep 13th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
There is no solid way to collect movies. Most of us collected Laserdiscs and then DVD's and then Blu Rays, now it is UHD. The industry will find a way to keep you paying to see the same content. Kaliedescape is as good if not better than most.
Well, you do have to give the 12 centimeter disc format some serious credit, though. With ONE modern player, you can play CD, SACD, DVD, Blu-Ray, 4K Blu-Ray, along with a boat load of file support for audio, video, and photos. That is actually an insane amount of compatibility across generations for one player to be capable of when you really think about it.

The fact that I can play a movie I bought back in '97 on a player from 2018 is pretty impressive. That's over twenty years (and counting) of compatibility. Not too shabby!
Old Sep 13th, 2018

Well the Vinyl record is laughing at this notion. ^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph_record

The future is what Kaleidescape gives today. We all made the jump. It's great.
Old Sep 13th, 2018

Shiny Discs do that but not nearly as elegant. One day soon we get 8K and then need to buy all over again
Old Sep 13th, 2018

Quote:
There is no solid way to collect movies. Most of us collected Laserdiscs and then DVD's and then Blu Rays, now it is UHD. The industry will find a way to keep you paying to see the same content. Kaliedescape is as good if not better than most.
I think Movies Anywhere is an extremely solid way to collect movies. I have about 1,000 digital movies and 700 are on MA. Once they add support for K and the missing studios (Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM), it will pretty much be the perfect solution.
Old Sep 13th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Well the Vinyl record is laughing at this notion. ^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph_record

The future is what Kaleidescape gives today. We all made the jump. It's great.
Haha. Too true. I'll always love my vinyl. Now THAT format's enjoyed some insane staying power, huh?
Old Sep 13th, 2018

Quote:
Shiny Discs do that but not nearly as elegant. One day soon we get 8K and then need to buy all over again
Well, we don't ever need to buy anything all over again, but too often we feel compelled to upgrade. I can still enjoy plenty of my old DVDs on a 4K blu-ray player. However, if it's a movie I like enough, I don't mind splurging for the latest version. Upgrading from a DVD to a BD version was usually (not always) worth it, but something tells me I don't think I'll find myself yearning to go from 4K to 8K nearly as much. That is unless I end up with that 300" screen I've always wanted.
Old Sep 13th, 2018

Quote:
Then K will have the digital upgrade for Goodfellas in 8K, nothing is free. Did you read or see the CEDIA Demos? My Dealer says the Digital Projection was out of this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygreen23 View Post
I think Movies Anywhere is an extremely solid way to collect movies. I have about 1,000 digital movies and 700 are on MA. Once they add support for K and the missing studios (Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM), it will pretty much be the perfect solution.
Billy, I am right with you, I don't quite have 1,000 digital films, I went from about 100 to 500, from November to now-- thanks to the Strato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Well, we don't ever need to buy anything all over again, but too often we feel compelled to upgrade. I can still enjoy plenty of my old DVDs on a 4K blu-ray player. However, if it's a movie I like enough, I don't mind splurging for the latest version. Upgrading from a DVD to a BD version was usually (not always) worth it, but something tells me I don't think I'll find myself yearning to go from 4K to 8K nearly as much. That is unless I end up with that 300" screen I've always wanted.
At some point we reach the saturation point. We will exceed the theoretical resolution of analog film and transition to the archival format for those types of movies. I do like the 4K versions of Braveheart, Forrest Gump and Blade Runner.

Regarding screens, we really need a laser engine for our PJs to hit in the 29fL range (about 100nits) to appreciate some level of HDR. I think we have to wait on that. OR just compromise or change the way the sound works, and use direct view walls of video. Still the 85" Sony 900F isn't a bank breaker (but a back breaker) and hits well above 1000nits.

Old Sep 13th, 2018

FYI guys I got my first Kaliedescape in 2004. I am a big fan. I simply don't get enough time to watch a lot of movies so the quality is really important. I have not watched a DVD in years. I have a ton of movies in both UV and MA. Right now I end up buying a lot of them twice. Once on Kscape and also on streaming for the kids, tablets etc. I have a 158" 2:40 to 1 screen so resolution is a big deal. I never have regretted my investment, but the gap between streaming and stored is narrowing quickly. I have rented movies via Vudu that did not require multiple viewings or the best quality. It works fine. This is somewhat similar to audio. Even though I own a large number of hi res audio files I still have a subscription to Tidal. I don't think Kaliedescape will be a part of MA. I hope they will but I don't think it will happen. The best idea is to own both

Last edited by Mr. Integration; Sep 13th, 2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 13th, 2018

I see your point. You love this as much, if not more than anyone else. Your family contends with your ideals and convenience is a quick and easy solution.

It's true-iTunes and Vudu have almost all the films out there from nearly every studio.

I'll concede: I have 24bit music files of Pearl Jam, I have had a Tidal subscription (it's good), and today I listen to my iPhone and play 256Kbps AAC files (iTunes Match/Apple Music versions-- they all come from the same source).