Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Remotes, Automation, and Control Systems

Old Feb 3rd, 2018

Default Control 4 or Crestron question about remote programming

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a programmer program a control 4 or crestron system remotely and then upload the configuration to a the system in your home? This assumes I provide the programmer the equipment and IP address for each device I want integrated...
Old Feb 3rd, 2018

Certainly. C4 would be a little bit easier to edit and test remotely as you edit the actively running program vs recompile on Crestron.

That said there would be some initial setup that would have to happen on site before any remote programming could happen. From getting the controllers registered and remotes ID'd.

Kevin D.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018

Is it possible for me, as the end user, to do those initial setup steps myself?
Old Feb 3rd, 2018

With c4 no. You have to have Composer software, a dealer login, and register the controller before any remote programming can be done.

Crestron I suppose you could find the address the controller takes and forward the appropriate ports through the router.

Sounds like you're looking to get used equipment and just hire a programmer. Your most difficult task may be finding a programmer to do it that way.

Kevin D.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018

No I’m not trying to get used equipment- I was thinking about buying a control 4 system at magnolia today. I just don’t want to have to have someone come to my house every time I add/subtract any equipment...
Old Feb 3rd, 2018

Gotcha. Well magnolia would have to do the initial setup and I'm not sure how they handle remote programming. It would be kind of useless to send you out the door with just the product.

Once setup you can easily go in your account and change your dealer to whoever you wish. That would give them remote access to reprogram.

Kevin D.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018

I’m not 100% sure how it works but I know Magnolia programs Savant remotely. Having said that any C4 or Crestron dealer that sets up your system should have remote access to make changes. If they don’t run fast.
Old Feb 12th, 2018

For the people here- which do you prefer? Control 4 or crestron? All I want to do is control a Samsung TV with built-in apps, an Apple TV, a meridian receiver and a Kaleidescape system with a switch between the Encore and the Premiere.
Old Feb 12th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
For the people here- which do you prefer? Control 4 or crestron? All I want to do is control a Samsung TV with built-in apps, an Apple TV, a meridian receiver and a Kaleidescape system with a switch between the Encore and the Premiere.
With that basic usage, C4 might make the most sense. I love Crestron, but it's my preference when you need to control a whole house worth of lights, HVAC, media, check your pool's temperature, shades, etc., etc., etc. It is so unbelievably powerful and infinitely customizable.

Crestron is great stuff, but you REALLY need a programmer who knows what they're doing. It's not easy, but can really sing in the right hands. C4 is far easier to program, so if BB/Magnolia was doing it...C4.

What about RTI? Personally, that's my go-to.
Old Feb 12th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
If that's literally all you want to control I'd go with a Logitech Harmony or RTI. C4 or Crestron would be a waste of money.