Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Feature & Enhancement Requests

Old Jun 1st, 2018

Default Ability to bookmark main movie without sending disc to K.

I just imported about a dozen Blu-rays and 3 of them do not have the ability to play the main movie from the menu (only disc mode). The titles are La La Land, A League of their Own (25th anniversary), and Dr Strangelove (Australian import). The first two have the cover art, synopsis, and cast info and even a digital upgrade offer. The third is completely un-recognized.

I can forgive that the last title would not have been cataloged by K and can sort of forgive the second one. But La La Land? It should have already been cataloged by now.

Once the Premiere line heads towards legacy status, it is going to revert to disc mode for all new discs at this rate. Please consider adding the ability for the user to mark the main movie to maintain this basic level of functionality for new discs.
Old Jun 1st, 2018

Totally agree. Disc recognition seems to be a thing of the past and adding the barcode no more than an academic exercise. The sooner we are able to bookmark ourselves the sooner end user satisfaction will increase .
Old Jun 7th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarlock View Post
I just imported about a dozen Blu-rays and 3 of them do not have the ability to play the main movie from the menu (only disc mode). The titles are La La Land, A League of their Own (25th anniversary), and Dr Strangelove (Australian import). The first two have the cover art, synopsis, and cast info and even a digital upgrade offer. The third is completely un-recognized.

I can forgive that the last title would not have been cataloged by K and can sort of forgive the second one. But La La Land? It should have already been cataloged by now.

Once the Premiere line heads towards legacy status, it is going to revert to disc mode for all new discs at this rate. Please consider adding the ability for the user to mark the main movie to maintain this basic level of functionality for new discs.

Reach out to K support. Have had that with several titles and each occasion they have fixed it from their end and fairly quickly. Sometimes itís just a database glitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Jun 7th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Let me add just a little explanation here that I've covered previously, but now is as good a time as any for a refresher.

It's very common for there to be multiple different versions of the same movie released on disc. Some of these are obvious, like different versions in different countries, but sometimes they are not at all obvious. Maybe they made a small change in disc authoring after the first run was pressed. Maybe there was a special version created for (e.g.) Best Buy. Since disc recognition is based upon the bits on the disc, if the bits are different, the disc can't be recognized as "the same".

We call these discs "alternate pressings" or "alts" for short.

When you enter a barcode to let us know that a particular unrecognized disc is a title like La La Land, that title is added to a queue that one of our Movie Guide team processes. They'll create a new entry in our database to match up this new "alt" with the main entry in the database. Sometimes, we're able to also apply the bookmarks, and sometimes we're not. Depends on exactly what changed between the discs.

That queue is processed according to a priority order. If we have a lot of people reporting the same barcode for a popular title, for example, we try to get to those before a barcode that may be reported once for a niche title. We're manpower-limited on this.

If we're not able to transfer the bookmarks across, then the only way for us to bookmark it is to buy the disc ourselves (if we can find the version you have), or for us to process the disc as a loan.

Unfortunately, disc bookmarking is quite a technical process as it stands today. It would be great to add a lightweight "just the essentials" bookmark that would be easier for users to do, but some discs are tricky even for our experts. I'd use this myself on some of the niche titles I buy. But, it's not a simple problem.

Hope that adds a little clarity.
Old Jun 7th, 2018

Hi Mike! Thanks for the clarification.

A slight update to the OP, I did enter the bar code for Dr Strangelove which was a completely un-recognized disc. It now has the movie cover, title, synopsis and cast information populated. So don't think that entering a bar code is useless exercise.
Old Jun 8th, 2018

You must just be lucky as my experience with adding barcodes even after 6 months of waiting is that there are very few if any updates. Films I generally buy from the store so no problem but I also buy large numbers of European TV drama etc so perhaps I am always at the back of the queue based upon Mike’s explanation ��
Old Jun 8th, 2018

From my experience, if you want to see the back of the queue, buy a previously unreported DVD. Some of those have gone for years without a whisper.