Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Jul 16th, 2016

Default Alto Audio Drop Outs

Many of the movies I have downloaded from the K-Store have audio drop outs. Tonight we watched the downloaded HD version of ET and there were probably 10 drop outs. I find this more than unacceptable on a product at this price point.

Do I have a faulty product or is this typical?
Old Jul 17th, 2016

No, this is not something that is typical of any Kaleidescape product.

Can we start by having your full equipment list and how everything is hooked up please?
Old Jul 17th, 2016

The Alto is connected to a Datasat RS20i which is in turn connected to four amps which are in turn connected to 11 speakers and 3 subs.

The Datasat is plugged into an APS 2000 Power Conditioner. I also have an Apple TV Box, a DirecTV box; a Amazon TV box and a music server plugged into the RS20i.

This configuration worked flawlessly when an Oppo served duties as my Blu Ray player.

Specifically:

VIDEO EQUIPMENT: Sony 600ES w/ Powered Panamorph Anamorphic Lens and sled; Screen Masking System by Carada; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (1.1 Gain - XD Material);

SPEAKERS: LCR: Triad Platinum LCR's; SUBS: DIY/Stereo Integrity HST18 Subs (2) and (2) Seaton SubMersives (Master/Salve with 4000 Watt Amp); Surrounds: Triad Silver In-Room Monitors; (4) Tannoy Di6 DC heights (Atmos/Auro)

ELECTRONICS: Datasat RS20i Surround Processor; APS 2000 Power Conditioner; Emotive XPA-5 driving the 4 ceiling speakers; d-sonic 7 channel amp (800 x 3 and 400 x 4); Peavey IPR 7500 amp for DIY subs

SOURCES: Music Vault Diamond Music Server (J River and J Remote for controlling my music server); Kaleidescape Alto Movie Player; DirecTV DVR; Apple TV; Amazon Fire Stick

MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT: BlueJeans Cables (XLR and Single Ended) and Speaker Wire; Middle Atlantic Equipment Rack

Last edited by audioguy123; Jul 17th, 2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old Jul 17th, 2016

What firmware version are you running on the RS20i?
Old Jul 17th, 2016

Very nice equipment there. This might sound absurdly simply but have you tried the following:

* Replacing the HDMI cables (it seems these new products are all very sensitive to HDMI cables)

* Are you feeding your processor with HDMI from the audio out HDMI?
Old Jul 17th, 2016

I'm 99% sure it's either the RS20i or a cable issue.
Old Jul 18th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Very nice equipment there. This might sound absurdly simply but have you tried the following:

* Replacing the HDMI cables (it seems these new products are all very sensitive to HDMI cables)
I have not but I will. I sure hate to sit through that entire movie again after replacing the cable. It's not that I'm not a Disney fan ..... These cables were all purchased new from a very reliable company (BlueJeans Cable) and are their highest rated HDMI cable - but I guess that doesn't mean I didn't get a bad one in the batch (I ordered 7 of them when I redid my equipment rack)

Yesterday I watched Olympus Has Fallen and not a single dropout. Could it be related to how the download from the K-Store went?

Quote:
* Are you feeding your processor with HDMI from the audio out HDMI?
I am.
Old Jul 19th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Hello audioguy, sorry to hear that you've had some audio dropouts. In answer to your most recent question, no, it wouldn't be related to the Movie Store download.

Would you please send me (via private message) your Alto's serial number and the date and time when you watched the movie with the dropouts (as close as you can get to the correct time would be helpful)?

We'd like to take a look at your system's diagnostic logs to see if the player reported any issues during that time. It should help narrow down what was going on.
Old Aug 16th, 2016

I am probably going to get some negative feedback about this, but I suggest you look at the Ethernet cabling you are using. When I switched from Blue Jeans Cat 5 to their Cat 6a cables, my AV performance improved demonstrably (to my admittedly "golden" eyes/ears). I cannot assure you that this will be the solution to your problem, but this upgrade cannot hurt.
Old Aug 16th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVphile View Post
I am probably going to get some negative feedback about this, but I suggest you look at the Ethernet cabling you are using. When I switched from Blue Jeans Cat 5 to their Cat 6a cables, my AV performance improved demonstrably (to my admittedly "golden" eyes/ears). I cannot assure you that this will be the solution to your problem, but this upgrade cannot hurt.
That won't be the cause of this issue