Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Dec 31st, 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I think if you took 480i HDMI, then you have an image before deinterlacing and really its just the color channel data just like what I think is on the SDI. I think the big difference these people are seeing is psychlogical- they worked hard to find or make the mods to their players and find the SDI equipment that "only the pros" use. Btw- I still recommend using the component video out- the HDMI looks less saturated and no more detailed. I think the K player has some darn good D-A converters. If your VP has good A-D you'll be fine. JMHO.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you regarding SDI, but I'm sure there are owners of SDI modded devices that can see difference.

Regarding hdmi vs. component, I've always believed you should try each connection in your setup (your particular a/v gear) to see which image you prefer.

Jim
Old Jan 1st, 2007

SDI Has higher chrima bandwidth, so there is more info. and in a system pushed to the nth degree, there may be visible advantages.

But not in most.
Old Jan 1st, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
I agree with you regarding SDI, but I'm sure there are owners of SDI modded devices that can see difference.

Regarding hdmi vs. component, I've always believed you should try each connection in your setup (your particular a/v gear) to see which image you prefer.

Jim
Jim,

Fyi I have Marantz DV9600 modified with SDI output & the SDI output is indeed slightly better than its hdmi output.
I can say that DV9600 with SDI output is still the best dvd transport you can find in the market.

I also find out that K-MP2 480i component output is better compare to the hdmi output.
The color temperature from the K-MP2 hdmi output is off,the color is less saturated & the white level crushed.
Currently I use the component output from my K-MP2.
I am contemplating to have my K-MP2 player modified with SDI output as well.

For those who have modified the K player with SDI outputs,pls share with us.

Kartono
Old Jan 1st, 2007

Interesting. One thing you or any K player owner might want to consider is to review the legalese we signed when we bought the system. Modifying the system to output an unprotected digital stream might violate this.

I knew SDI was considered better, I just couldn't remember.

Im with you about trying different combinations in a system, after all when designing a system thats what you have to do: balance the strengths and weaknesses of each component to arrive at the most pleasing result.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartono View Post
Jim,

Fyi I have Marantz DV9600 modified with SDI output & the SDI output is indeed slightly better than its hdmi output.
I can say that DV9600 with SDI output is still the best dvd transport you can find in the market.

I also find out that K-MP2 480i component output is better compare to the hdmi output.
The color temperature from the K-MP2 hdmi output is off,the color is less saturated & the white level crushed.
Currently I use the component output from my K-MP2.
I am contemplating to have my K-MP2 player modified with SDI output as well.

For those who have modified the K player with SDI outputs,pls share with us.

Kartono
Hi Kartono,
The Marantz DV 9600 is the best DVD player I've ever owned. I know others like Denon, but I found the 9600 provided the most accurate color and detail in my setup (subjective). The scaling and deinterlacing to output 1080p is excellent and they are not even using the latest chipsets. IIRC, they use a combination of Pioneer and DVDO internals, and get an excellent result. If SDI modification improves on that, then you must really have an excellent image!!

As I previously mentioned, there should be at least two owners that have modded their players. I don't know who they are, but hopefully they will post to give you some advice.

Jim
Old Jan 4th, 2007

Is the benefit of SDI really worth the risks? I realize this is a question of personal preferences but I just don't see it.
Old Jan 4th, 2007

As usual in activity involving subjective judgments, there will be differences on the added value of an SDI mod.

Jim
Old Jan 4th, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Is the benefit of SDI really worth the risks? I realize this is a question of personal preferences but I just don't see it.
Jerry,

Some benefits that I get are:

1.No hdmi compatibility issue or handshake issue that we usually encounter when using hdmi connection.
2.Suitable to be hooked up with external video processor/scaler since the SDI output is always in 480i or 576i mode.
3.Slightly more detailed picture & less noise due to the shorter path in the digital signal.No video processing occured as the signal is tapped directly from the MPEG chip to the SDI out.
4.Unlike hdmi connection which causes a lot of headaches/problems to either the users or manufacturers, SDI connection is proven very stable & almost trouble free.

Some DVD players with SDI output that I already tried are : Marantz DV9600,Denon 3910 & Pioneer DV989.

Kartono
Old Jan 4th, 2007

That nicely sums up the benefits most users report. Of course #2 requires a VP that can accept SDI (like Crystalio).
Old Jan 5th, 2007

Kartono,
Thank you. I think the biggest is stability. Clearly HDMI has some issues. I also figured out why one would want to go with the CII pro (3800) model- the biggest reason for me would be the precision clock, which the 3300 model lacks. Especially for HDMI which is very jitter prone- I am no jitter expert, but as I understand it HDMI can change the timing on the fly and this is something some of the gurus I rub shoulders with sometimes tell me is really just terrible. Reclocking the HDMI signal is considered a must by these guys. If what they say is true I am really stunned that these companies would put out such a flawed standard. Btw- although jitter is usually associated with audio, it can affect any digital signal which uses a clock and that includes video.

As to modifying a Kplayer for SDI, well, look at the Crystalio website, they offer a service to modify players- I am not sure if they would do it to a KPlayer and I am going to leave well enough alone- for now

btw- Lumagen also does this and I bet a Google search on this topic would produce a number of companies who might provide this service.