Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Pre-owned systems; what happens to the MOVIES?

We have a Marketplace section, and there are plenty of K-things for sale elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any discussions about what happens to the programs that might be on the hard drives of these systems.

I expect that people with disc vaults will empty them of discs before sale, but what about digitial copies on hard drives? Do purchasers of these used systems effectively get ownership rights? Or maybe there's a "Close my Account" button that makes it easy to return a K-system to Factory Defaults, like e.g. an Apple iPhone?

What about a buyer of a used system (with movies on it) signing-up for a K-account; what does K make of existing movies, that used to belong to the prior owner's account?

Maybe the answer is: "Dealers could tell you but then they'd have to kill you" i.e. there's some witche's brew that only authorized dealers know how to cook. And actually that would be fine with me because my major worry with buying-into K-world is that they survive. So I hope they have this rights stuff all nailed-down?
Old 1 Week Ago

First, before used Servers (including all Player/Server combo's, i.e. C1, Strato-S, etc.) are shipped to a new owner, the Seller is supposed to either delete all content, or ship the physical discs with the Server. Same with content downloaded from the K Store (minus the physical discs obviously). I cannot say what happens to content on a hard drive with downloaded movies from the Store when that now transferred component is re-registered for Store use by a new owner. Obviously, the new owner doesn't actually own that content.

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
I cannot say what happens to content on a hard drive with downloaded movies from the Store when that now transferred component is re-registered for Store use by a new owner. Obviously, the new owner doesn't actually own that content.
Sure, though I wonder what, if anything, K-scape might do about it. I doubt that they would recognize-and-delete, or fail to play, that content. Clearly if the new owner can play it and then somehow deletes it, they'd need to re-buy from K.

I suppose there is a Ts&Cs doc somewhere that might clarify this...

Thanks Jim.
Old 1 Week Ago
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Content downloaded from the store becomes unplayable when the system transfers to new ownership. Since the new account doesn't have ownership of that content, no playback authorisation keys are issued to the system. The content itself is not deleted from the hard drive however.

If the new owner buys any of the content from the store, the previously downloaded content will become playable without a need to redownload the content.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Green View Post
Content downloaded from the store becomes unplayable when the system transfers to new ownership. Since the new account doesn't have ownership of that content, no playback authorisation keys are issued to the system. The content itself is not deleted from the hard drive however.

If the new owner buys any of the content from the store, the previously downloaded content will become playable without a need to redownload the content.
Good answer, and very clear. Thank you John!
Old 1 Week Ago

I figured I'd let K comment on that....thanks John.

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Is it possible to sell/transfer one's store if they leave the Kaleidescape ecosystem?
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Is it possible to sell/transfer one's store if they leave the Kaleidescape ecosystem?
I guess that anyone leaving the K ecosystem could simply share the email address associated to the K store account and the password?
Old 1 Week Ago

Seems like if you are actually selling your rights to the movies (and never have access again), you would change the email address and name in your account to the new person? Might also have to change the dealer or other things. Not sure what that would do with digital rights for UV titles.... SJ