Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old Jan 16th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Well, the new Terra servers are capped at 4 drives in their chassis, so the RAID overhead is 25% of the total storage, while the 3U server overhead with the hot spare is as low as 14.3%.
Actually the Terra servers do not use RAID. All of the storage on the four drives is available for movies.
Old Jan 16th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Mike, I almost wonder why you ask. In my experience, the fastest Kaleidescape has ever served to me is 60MB/s, and ever since I downloaded a bunch of movies over the past month, it throttled down to 15MB/s and hasn't sped up yet... is that by design?
Do you mean MB/s (megabytes per second) or Mb/s (megabits per second)?

As others have noted, the current download limit is 100Mbit/sec. I regularly see that speed at home. If you're only seeing 15Mbit/sec consistently, then something is not right.
Old Jan 17th, 2016

I have been getting downloads at 95+ Mb/s consistently so I suspect maybe there is an issue with your ISP.
Old Jan 17th, 2016

Sorry, of course I meant Mb/s, not MB/s.

My ISP (Comcast) regularly tests out at much faster - just tested (while I'm downloading from Kaleidescape right now at 15Mb/s) and my download is 161Mb/s and my upload is 11Mb/s. So, there's lots of bandwidth that's not being used.

Now, this could be shaped by Comcast right now... but, weird, no?
Old Jan 17th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
I have been getting downloads at 95+ Mb/s consistently so I suspect maybe there is an issue with your ISP.
Show off!!

How close to theoretical is that? I'm always complaining to VZ I'm not getting what I pay for
Old Jan 17th, 2016

My 105 Comast service regularly tests out at 125-130Mb/s and my Alto downloads typically show 95Mb/s when my network is idle.

15Mb/s sounds like your connection is being throttled by your ISP. Another explanation could be a bad link in the chain between your K-scape and router.... bad switch, bad port, bad cable, broadcast storm by another device on the same switch... it all depends on how complicated your network is.

Assuming you have multiple hops between your K-scape and router, can you temporarily connect it directly to the router with a single ethernet cable and download again to test the speed?
Old Jan 17th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Sorry, of course I meant Mb/s, not MB/s.

My ISP (Comcast) regularly tests out at much faster - just tested (while I'm downloading from Kaleidescape right now at 15Mb/s) and my download is 161Mb/s and my upload is 11Mb/s. So, there's lots of bandwidth that's not being used.

Now, this could be shaped by Comcast right now... but, weird, no?
Is your system a Premiere system or an Alto or Cinema One? If one of the latter, are you using Wi-Fi, or a wired network connection?

Are you sure that you have not set a speed limit on your downloads (on the Downloads page on the Movie Store)?
Old Jan 18th, 2016

It's a Premiere system, wired (100% gigabit), and there's no speed limit set (it's a 100Mbps, the maximum).

It ran at 50-60Mbps from December 21st (when I started this batch of downloads) until December 25th, at which point it throttled down to 20Mbps. On the 26th, it dropped to 10-16Mbps and hasn't gone over that since then (although as of one second ago it's going at 20 again).
Old Jan 18th, 2016

And, of course, now it's running at around 15 again. It seems clear someone is shaping the traffic. I just don't know who's doing it.
Old Jan 18th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

It's not us. I'm currently downloading a movie to my Alto at home:

Last edited by MikeKobb; Jan 18th, 2016 at 03:27 PM.