Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Remotes, Automation, and Control Systems

Old Apr 21st, 2011

Default 1remote for Kaleidescape is here

1remote for Kaleidescape is an iPhone and iPad remote control application for Kaleidescape that gives you full movie and music control! You can even browse your entire collection when you are not at home.

Check it out here:

App Store url: http://itunes.apple.com/app/1remote/id417634358?mt=8

and/or

1remote url: http://www.1remote.me/kaleidescape.html

Old Apr 21st, 2011

Thanks for posting!

Jim
Old Apr 21st, 2011

When they say an App like this is designed for iPhone/iPod/iPad (i.e. only one choice to download), how is this different to say, Remotescape, which has a different version for iPad and iPhone at different price points?
BTW in the Australian App store 1remote is $104.99 (or about $112 usd), in the US App store it's 84.99 usd, Apple is ripping us off by $27!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011

The difference is that the 1remote app uses pretty much the same user interface (just with cover art scaled up etc. for the iPad), whereas Remotescape uses some iPad specific user interface components that are not compatible with the iPhone and iPod Touch. They therefore need two different apps and have chosen to price them differently.
Regarding the price difference then we unfortunately have no control over that. We simply choose a price tier for which Apple has set the prices in the different currencies using some conversion rate. What they base that rate on we simply don’t know, but they have probably built in some considerable margin for currency fluctuations. Further to that Apple charge us a 30% handling fee so you are not the only one feeling the squeeze!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011

Viewing the video, this app looks very intriguing and has some good UI features. Not planning on spending money for another expensive iphone/ipad remote app just yet. (REALLY wish there were a 'lite' version or a time-limited version one could try for free)

Old Jul 11th, 2011

Yes we've tried to give the 1remote app a clean and easy to use interface with many functions actionable via gestures. Once you know the gestures you'll find it much easier to control the Kaleidescape interface for example as you don't need to look at the remote at the same time. We are also open to feature requests which we'll implement if found feasible. The latest new features for example were implemented following suggestions from customers. These include a new fast media sync from the latest imported list and the ability to use pinch gestures in landscape cover art mode to change the number of covers displayed. The latter for example allows you to get an overview of just 6 or up to 120 movies on an iPad, thus making it quicker to find the movie, or for that matter album, you want to play if you have a large collection. See screen shots below.

Jesper

Old Aug 17th, 2011

From the video, it looks like a movie is selected by a search function narrowing down the list view to a single named title and then plays the movie.

Is this the same for the Remotescape app? Or does it directly access the movie without using the list search function.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011

Yes that's pretty much how it works. The reason for this is that there isn't currently a Kaleidescape public API that allows you to play a movie given it's unique handle ? at least not one that I'm aware of. I believe that the reason for this omission is that Kaleidescape basically wants you to select the movie that you want to play on the TV via their on screen interface. When you have a fair number of movies though, I personally, find it hard to find the movie I want to play on the TV (even on a 50"). It's so much easier on the iPhone/iPad and then you just have to hit play and it will find and play the movie for you. It would of cause be a better experience if the playback was instant as with music but we'll have to wait until Kaleidescape decides to provide a public API for it I'm afraid.

As for RemoteScape I don't know how it works so maybe if someone that has it can comment on it here? With most other remotes though, you have to select the movie first via the Kaleidescape on screen interface.

Jesper
Old Aug 22nd, 2011

Yes that's pretty much how it works. The reason for this is that there isn't currently a Kaleidescape public API that allows you to play a movie given it's unique handle ? at least not one that I'm aware of. I believe that the reason for this omission is that Kaleidescape basically wants you to select the movie that you want to play on the TV via their on screen interface. When you have a fair number of movies though, I personally, find it hard to find the movie I want to play on the TV (even on a 50"). It's so much easier on the iPhone/iPad and then you just have to hit play and it will find and play the movie for you. It would of cause be a better experience if the playback was instant as with music but we'll have to wait until Kaleidescape decides to provide a public API for it I'm afraid.

As for RemoteScape I don't know how it works so maybe if someone that has it can comment on it here? With most other remotes though, you have to select the movie first via the Kaleidescape on screen interface.

Jesper
Old Aug 25th, 2011

Just got a new Ipad 2 and decided to buy this app. I must say I'm very disappointed with the stability - or lack thereof - of this app. When starting, the app requires synchronization with my kaleidescape system. I told it to synch both movies and music. Each time it attempts to synchronize, it gets stuck on the movies. Specifically, stuck at ?487 of 1277 movies synchronized?. I have restarted multiple times and yet it still gets stuck at the same point.

So, I decided to just have it synchronize music. After synchronizing my roughly 1400 CDs, when I then went to select one of the music zones, the app crashed. It does this each time I attempt to access any music zones. Also, whenever I pick a video zone - even though the synchronization failed (as described above) - the app crashes. Apps shouldn't crash - especially not for the price they are charging.

Final nit - the app only worked in portait mode. Does not reorient to landscape.

Just a *very* disappointing experience.

Tags
1remote, amx, kaleidescape, one remote, remotescape