Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Remotes, Automation, and Control Systems

Old Mar 17th, 2010

Thanks Jeff, makes sense.

I've always been an early adopter when it comes to electronics, especially in audio/video, but lately I've been getting tired of dealing with the usual "early run" glitches found in so many new products. Although many of these are eventually fixed in later releases and firmware updates, it is still a PITA. There are just too many companies out there lately using early customers as beta testers (not saying Apple does that).

I know that Apple continually improves it's products, and these improvements seem to be significant between first and 2nd generation releases, which is why I plan to wait. That said, not sure I'd wait very long if the early reports indicate the K interface works well.

Jim
Old Apr 10th, 2010

Hi All,

I have had my iPad in hand a few days now and have put Remotescape on it. So far, Remotescape really seems to work exactly as it does on the iPhone/Pod. The 2X feature will expand the display, and while it gets a little 'fuzzy,' it isn't too bad. My preference is to run it in 2X, rather than the better resolution and smaller form-factor. The iPad makes it feel more like a touch panel than the iPhone/Pod, even thought it is the same program. I think that there is a ton of potential for the iPad acting as a touch panel, and Remotescape shows that right out of the box.

My brief comment on the iPad is that it is really a cool device. I have a couple of applications that I bought/downloaded for my iPhone/Pod that don't quite work right on the iPad, but for the most part, things run pretty much the same. Surfing and e-mail are vastly improved with the larger display, and it really makes it convenient. The battery seems to be just as strong as the iPhone/Pod. Like a few others on here, I've been greatly disappointed at the short battery time I have on my TPM-8X, even with the extra battery. My Crestron also gets very hot, where the iPad doesn't seem to get hot at all. I love my Crestron's functionality, but the battery/heat issues are my biggest complaint.

So far, so good with the iPad and Remotescape for me...

Thanks, Steven
Old Apr 11th, 2010

Personally, I find that I can't stand using iPhone apps on the iPad now. Once you see some of the amazing things done for the larger screen format and capabilities with the well-designed native iPad apps, running the little iphone apps seems "toy-like" in comparison. I do have RemoteScape on my iPad but don't really use it... and am really hoping that they will release a native iPad app that takes full advantage of that screen real estate.

Old Apr 12th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
Edit: I just hope someone builds a wall mount dock for the iPad, much like the wall mount dock for the Pronto Pro TSU9600.
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://modulrcase.com/accessories.php
My Fiber Based Crestron DM System
Old Apr 12th, 2010

Thanks for that link James.

Jim
Old Apr 12th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
Thanks for that link James.
Jim
Your welcome.
My Fiber Based Crestron DM System
Old Apr 17th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I've been greatly disappointed at the short battery time I have on my TPM-8X, even with the extra battery. My Crestron also gets very hot, where the iPad doesn't seem to get hot at all. I love my Crestron's functionality, but the battery/heat issues are my biggest complaint.
I have a very elaborate Crestron system in my home with HD video and audio pumped throughout the house with in-wall and wireless Crestron panels in every room. I love my Crestron gear because it is so bulletproof and reliable with one BIG exception. The Crestron wireless panels are unbelievably overpriced and unreliable. I have numerous 8X panels with the big batteries and they don't last long at all-- kind of defeating the point of wireless panels.

I bought an iPad the day it came out and it is an exceptional panel in every way. The battery life is astounding. I often use the iPad for two days without needing a recharge. With the Crestron 8x, I barely get through one movie before it needs to be docked in the charger. Apple has set a new standard with touchpanels with exceptional multitouch and battery life. Crestron really needs to get their act together on this front. They can no longer justify $3k for a wireless panel when something so much more powerful exists at a fraction of the cost.

Regarding the Remotescape iPhone app. It works fine of the iPad, but an upgrade is warranted. The iPad screen resolution and the physical size of the screen allow for a much better app.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010

looks like sonos users get in on the fun for free:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/s...ion-supersize/
Old Jul 14th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterboy View Post
Regarding the Remotescape iPhone app. It works fine of the iPad, but an upgrade is warranted..
Does Rscape support landscape view on the iPad?
Old Aug 6th, 2010

Has anyone heard any updates from Remotescape re a native iPad app? The website still states "We plan to produce a native iPad version of Remotescape that uses the iPad's full screen resolution and new interface elements. We hope to release something by the end of 2010"

Since some London stores are starting to advertise xmas stuff and put tree's up I am guessing Christmas and thus the end of the year must be getting close ;-)

The main reason for asking is I am considering iPads instead of Crestron 6X's for the main rooms in a new house install (cheaper by a long way, better functionality and way better battery life)

Tags
ipad, netbook, remote, remotescape