Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Movies & Music Discussions > Import Errors & Issues

Old Nov 27th, 2016

Question Play disc vs Episode selection

Sometimes, after importing box sets of popular TV shows, I have the option of playing an episode or playing a disc. Some discs within the box set will allow me to play an episode while others allow me to only play the disc with no episodes available. In some cases, a few seasons will import allowing me to play episodes while other seasons will only allow playing the disc.

I would always prefer the option to play an episode.

I live in London, UK, and box sets purchased in the UK/EU with this issue include The Golden Girls, King of Queens, Cheers, Cold Feet etc...

I have tried to manually enter the UPC code for those 'play disc only' seasons but this does not resolve the problem.

Is there a way to import discs so that the correct information is downloaded to allow me to select each episode? I think this is called Episode Bookmarks??

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a resolution?

Thank you.
Old Nov 28th, 2016

You can only play episodes if the disc has been loaned to K for bookmarking. Entering the UPC just helps them get the top-level meta-information (title, main actors, director, etc.) entered.
Old Nov 30th, 2016

Is that right? I assumed that entering the UPC also gives them the data they need to acquire the disc on their own. Sure if it's really obscure, then borrowing from a user may be the best option, but for more mainstream discs, wouldn't they just buy it or get it from the studio?

Old Nov 30th, 2016

Anything is possible, and this is the time of year where buying new is probably cheaper than shipping. Though I would hope they finish getting every other studio out there, so it just becomes an issue of alternate pressings or store exclusives.

As slow as titles used to slip off my missing bookmarks list, I haven't enough history to know whether it was limited purchasing or limited loaning.
Old Nov 30th, 2016

The reply from K Support was helpful:

For titles that you have entered the UPC code and 4-6 weeks later you still only have the ‘play disc’ option, you can send an email to loan@kaleidescape.com to have them manually processed.

http://www.kaleidescape.com/go/loan (for more information on the loan program)

But I notice a $10 per disc processing fee. Rather steep considering once processed, I assume the info is available to all via the Music Guide.

But I am still confused as to why Seasons 3 and 5 of a popular box set, for example, include bookmark data to play an episode but Seasons 1, 2 and 4 do not allow me to play a disc only.