Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old Nov 2nd, 2018

Thanks Mike. I see the ownership information now.

Is there any way to identify movies that are UV enabled when buying through the app?
Old Nov 2nd, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Hi HiFiGuy,

That's a feature we're looking to add in a future release. We agree it's an important use case. In the meantime, it might be a good idea to leave a little space free for those same-day downloads.

20Hertz -- the app does not currently show whether a purchase includes UltraViolet. It does show UV ownership when that applies. Look for a future update on this one.
Old Nov 5th, 2018

Any update on the Android version?
Old Nov 6th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

No update to share beyond what's been written in the thread already. We are working on an Android version, and will likely seek beta testers when the app is far enough along. We're too early in the development at this point.
Old Nov 6th, 2018

I was surprised tonight as we had some friends over to watch a movie. I could control the pausing and playing through my Apple Watch. Must be integrated with the new app. Sweet!
Old Nov 7th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Yeah, glad you like that! We expose media controls on the iPhone lock screen when the phone locks while the app is controlling a zone that has active playback. That also has the effect of showing the controls on the Apple Watch.

Note: Apple's API for these controls is somewhat limited, and you can't really tailor the buttons and controls that it shows. So, the phone presents a volume slider that does not have any effect in this situation. It also shows icons that look like fast-forward and rewind, but that actually do skip forward and skip back.
Old Dec 10th, 2018

I have a couple general questions on the iOS apps:

- is there also an iPad app with equivalent support and functions?
- can you control what was installed on your Strato in the app, anywhere? So deleted downloaded content or start downlaods?
- can you buy content in the iOS itself? Or does it kick you to the web page because of Apple’s 30% take?
- can you browse your owned content like the on-player movie wall and the have it do the reshuffling thing?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

There are currently two iOS apps.

The Kaleidescape App for iPad, which is the older of the two, was designed to treat the iPad as a sort of "second screen" interface. You can use the iPad app on your LAN to browse the contents of your system on the iPad's screen, and choose content that will then play on your chosen player. It supports both a list-based interface and a covers interface, with shuffle. It has a button-based remote control. It does not run on the smaller iPhone screen.

The Kaleidescape Mobile App (recently released) is really designed as a phone app, but it will run on the iPad in Apple's standard zoomed-up presentation. You can have both apps on your iPad if you like. It is not a second screen app. It allows browsing the movie store, watching trailers, and purchasing movies that will be downloaded to your system. That functionality is available anywhere there's a network connection. If you're on your LAN with your system, you can also control your player(s) using a gesture-based user interface that is designed to be used "eyes up" while looking at the screen, rather than having to look down to find buttons to tap.

Neither app currently supports deleting content. The mobile app does support purchase directly in the app, and you can also manage your download queue. Since you're not buying content to consume on your mobile device, Apple's revenue share does not apply.

I hope that we'll eventually update the new mobile app to take proper advantage of the iPad screen.
Old Dec 10th, 2018
Kaleidescape, Inc.

(Okay, actually, three iOS apps. There's also Kaleidescape Disc Search, which allows you to scan the barcode of a physical disc to see whether you own that title already, and whether it's available for purchase from the movie store.)
Old Dec 11th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
There are currently two iOS apps.

The Kaleidescape App for iPad, which is the older of the two, was designed to treat the iPad as a sort of "second screen" interface. You can use the iPad app on your LAN to browse the contents of your system on the iPad's screen, and choose content that will then play on your chosen player. It supports both a list-based interface and a covers interface, with shuffle. It has a button-based remote control. It does not run on the smaller iPhone screen.

The Kaleidescape Mobile App (recently released) is really designed as a phone app, but it will run on the iPad in Apple's standard zoomed-up presentation. You can have both apps on your iPad if you like. It is not a second screen app. It allows browsing the movie store, watching trailers, and purchasing movies that will be downloaded to your system. That functionality is available anywhere there's a network connection. If you're on your LAN with your system, you can also control your player(s) using a gesture-based user interface that is designed to be used "eyes up" while looking at the screen, rather than having to look down to find buttons to tap.

Neither app currently supports deleting content. The mobile app does support purchase directly in the app, and you can also manage your download queue. Since you're not buying content to consume on your mobile device, Apple's revenue share does not apply.

I hope that we'll eventually update the new mobile app to take proper advantage of the iPad screen.
I would encourage you folks to (in the long run) to bring the apps together into a unified download and more parity in features. I always find that nicer in the iOS ecosystem having the same app listing be multi-download to iPhone/iPad vs. having individual apps.

In addition, I would further recommend adding capability to fully manage/delete content through the apps, whether on local network or away.

As I plan my entry into K, I will be a buyer that opts for just a Strato knowing my library will far surpass the storage. So, I will have to manage that storage and what is resident.

Actually, if it not there, it would great to have more involved content management on the systems. Like flags for downloaded content to not be deleted, but if a system is out of space, have it figure out what to delete (ex. oldest watched, unflagged content) automatically.