Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old 1 Week Ago

Found the pics I took. Damage was to the corner diagonally opposite the PSU. My current theory is the metal casing and the front USB socket and a fatal attraction...

(& a broken, first gen, Cinema One / KS120 - anyone got a spare PSU? :-p)
Old 1 Week Ago
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Honestly, with that much damage, there's no telling what happened inside the chassis.
Old 1 Week Ago

Did the server get dropped? It looks like it hit at the corner.
Old 6 Days Ago

No idea, but one can only assume it was dropped by the courier, it was like that when I opened it. The dealer I purchased it off was good enough to refund me but the courier wouldn’t pay him anything - really not sure what the point in insurance is or what would need to happen for them to pay out!

Dealer had found it in a clean out so was happy for me to keep it and try and fix it.

My nerdy challenge side kicked in, I managed to fix the fascia with super glue, and managed to bend most of the metal in the right direction. Even got the disk caddies to slide in and out without issue, and to be fair you wouldn’t have seen a lot of the damage with the fascia up. I thought I’d done a bloody good job, was working, and then it went “bang” :-(

I still think the PSU is worth playing with but I agree with @MikeKobb, who knows what else could have happened to it.

Sadly, this is the THIRD(!) component I’ve bought second hand this past year that has been damaged in transit. It is always the corner that gets the brunt. The previous items took damage to the feet but didn’t matter so much as I was rack mounting them. I guess without the correct shipping box or certainly any corner supports, it’s more likely to happen.

@cinelife - might be an idea there for the sales section; tips on packaging and shipping methods when the original boxes aren’t available

(& a broken, first gen, Cinema One / KS120 - anyone got a spare PSU? :-p)
Old 6 Days Ago

Thanks V, I think we have some posts in various threads about proper packing, but no dedicated sticky to the subject. We'll look into that going forward.

The original packing is essential on the heavier pieces, and highly recommended for all components. Popcorn packing used by the major shippers provides zero protection during the actual shipping of the larger, heavier, components. The contents will likely move enough to displace the popcorn and expose the component to damage, especially the corners.

Jim