Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old Jul 7th, 2011

Default HDTracks directly in to Kaleidescape

OK, I am starting a new thread for this idea to see if anyone has input and to hopefully get some thoughts or commentary from K.

HDTracks.com has been selling high resolution audio for a while now, and they recently started offering the Rolling Stones. They seem to really be getting traction as a source for high quality recordings from main stream artists. I would think it would be easy to get the maximum quality audio files to play back from K's hardware...

Does anyone have thoughts on K working with HDTracks to add an official way to download directly or copy easily the HDTracks high resolution audio files to a K server so they can be played in their high resolution native format?
Old Jul 7th, 2011

Wasn't there something about how a lot of those were really just standard resolution audio that has been upscaled? Maybe it was a different provider, but I recall a little bit of hubbub going on with that recently...
Old Jul 8th, 2011

It would be nice to have for sure. But this would require a bit accurate method of getting the data out. How would it be stored? If the original source file is high res PCM could the players we currently have work with that? I would think yes because I think they can pass along the high res PCM on BR discs like Kingdom of Heaven. However I wouldn't want to assume anything and I can tell you for a fact that for CDs the PCM data is resampled when you go over HDMI. To get it bit accurate you have to go out via the SPDIF (coax or toshlink). The thing is PCM I dont think can handle more than the 2 channels of 44.1/16khz PCM you get with CD. So HDMI would be the interface for transmitting it, thus giving me a little concern.
Old Jul 8th, 2011

I'm a novice at the high-res audio, but my understanding is that you would get the song file in FLAC format from HD Tracks and the only way to get that to burn (at the 96/24 or 192/24 resolution) would be to a DVD-Audio or DVD-Video disc. I know that you cannot import a DVD-Audio disc into K, but you should be able to import a DVD-Video disc in? I have done that for home videos, but do you need special burning software to burn a DVD-video disc at that full/high resolution. I don't think iDVD for Mac (for example) will go higher than the CD sampling rate?

not sure, this is just what I have gathered from my research as I was looking to get some of the new offerings from HD Tracks now that they have apparently expanded their licensing agreements to get more commercial offerings. The early Abcko Stones albums that they released were the first, and they seem to be offering more each week. Originally, there was minimal pop/rock and mainly just Jazz/classical/vocal.
Old Jul 8th, 2011

Youre right but I think the idea here would be to download directly to the K system. Thereby skipping the physical disc step. If its in FLAC you would need to decode the FLAC somewhere.
Old Jul 14th, 2011

Yes- exactly- download directly in to the Kaleidescape system. Maybe it's something where you could initiate the purchase at your home through their website, and then K's servers send the audio files down to your system, like a system update...
Old Jul 15th, 2011

If I could import HD tracks directly into my Kaleidescape system is something I would be interested in. I hope K can facilitate a collaboration here with the HDTracks download service.
Old Jul 15th, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Wasn't there something about how a lot of those were really just standard resolution audio that has been upscaled?
Absolutely, positively 100% UNTRUE.
Old Jul 16th, 2011

One thing to consider is when someone does something, in this case, like offer HD tracks, there are always the "haters" who will spread rumors. I don't know if its true or not, I trust Rbienstock is correct, but the point is to be skeptical both of the claim and the criticism.
Old Jul 16th, 2011

I remember seeing something about it somewhere but I cannot find the link to the story. I don't know if it was legit or has been debunked but I would like to read it in detail. What I saw wasn't a posting in an internet forum or a blog but some AV webzine type thing. I just am bummed I cannot find it now.

At any rate, it is good to have high res audio available for download and hope consumers embrace it because it seems like in the quality vs convenience and/or cost battle, quality rarely wins out.