Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old Dec 31st, 2012

Hi Jerry,
I do the same except I don't put it into the K. If I had the K before I spent days and days importing it into the system noted above I'm sure I would though.
I went lossless as I use the 160gb iPods not only for my car and gym but for my office system which is decent -- Dynaudio C-1s, NAD M3 and Krell KID. I admit I could live with compressed though.

Couldn't agree more about the car and other noisy environs -- it's a joke to think it matters. Reminds me of when high-end cassettes were in vogue such as the Nakamichi Dragon (are you old enough to remember?). I'd tape some Telarc CD of classical music disc with about a 95 db of dynamic range and half of it was silent in the car. LOL. Remember the DBX noise reduction and compression systems too?

Looking at new cars now and the B&O option in the BMW M6 and MB SLs for $3.7 and $6K respectively. Salesman say that being a convertible is all the more reason to spend the extra money. I smile at him. Plus I think B&O is a fashion statement anyway.
Also agree that the songs I purchased from iTunes can't get into the K, but I'm a remote control button away from access to them at home anyway.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I might load a few CDs into the K and experiment a bit.

Well time to go celebrate!! Have a great night and see you around next year!!!
Old Jan 1st, 2013

Hey- I have the B&O in my M6! It happens to sound great. I like prog rock.

I do remember the Nakamichi cassette decks- I loved the one that would pop the tape out and spin it around so you never had to play it backwards for the second side.

I remember Dolby B&C NR.

I'll tell you why getting the nicer stereo in those cars might make sense- what would it cost to do a really good after market system with the kind of integration you get with the car audio system? Im guessing 10k at a minimum and probably more like 15k.

Dynaudio are really nice speakers. Sweet.

FWIW, B&O has gotten better over the years- they are still a fashion statement but now days they back it up with performance. I have a set of their headphones I use for the gym and they are quite good- for gym headphones. Listened to 2112 today. The Priests of Syrnix never had it so good.

PS- the new M6 is a sweet ride- highly recommended.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013

Small world Jerry.

Appreciate the info on the B&O. I will reassess based on your input. I think my dealer may have a car equipped with it to check out.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013

Well everyone has to make their own decisions. To some its a total waste of money. But to some owning a sports car is a total waste of money. And to some owning a movie server is a waste. Its all subjective here. Im just giving you a thought about why it might not be quite as crazy as it sounds. And to be fair- I never listened to the stock system. Im sure its already very good. I guess you could say I wanted the whole cake with the cheery on the top of it.
Old Jan 2nd, 2013

I have done several very long drives in a 640d fitted with B&O and was very impressed. The 640d is a fine car ....not as fruity as an M6 but can travel 500 miles on a single tank.

Naim and Meridian are also providing some excellent automotive sound systems.

I would definitely have B&O in a 6series. I have been told by a friend B&0 in the SL is worthwhile.

As ever with HiFi.... some systems work for the listener and some don't.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I have done several very long drives in a 640d fitted with B&O and was very impressed. The 640d is a fine car ....not as fruity as an M6 but can travel 500 miles on a single tank.

Naim and Meridian are also providing some excellent automotive sound systems.

I would definitely have B&O in a 6series. I have been told by a friend B&0 in the SL is worthwhile.

As ever with HiFi.... some systems work for the listener and some don't.
Don't want to take this too far off track. Just want to say I appreciate the candor and input on the B&O from both of you. No need to caveat it as worthwhile to some and not others. For those using the K system, a background in very good home audio gear is probably very common. I caught the bug at 13 and mowed lawns so as to buy the latest phone cartridge, etc. Never even began to take differing opinions personally.

The $6K for the system in the SL is a bit harder to accept. I always think of it not in terms of value, but in opportunity cost. What other audio gear purchase could I make that's a bigger bang for the buck. The MB user forums are starting to have more posts complaining about the B&O (I have not heard it), specially that they tune the system to the car, which is obviously what one would expect and don't offer much user flexibility in terms of front / rear balance and other user preferences. I'm not buying either car off the lot, so I have a bit of time before placing my order to check it out. Leaning M6. Thanks again.
Old Jan 4th, 2013

We aim to please. What do we have to do to put you in a car today?
Old Apr 20th, 2013

Nice to have the music in the K bc you can run the dcoax out to your DAC, play it through you music system and control by the K app. If compression doesn't bother you, you can also get iTunes over. It just a cumbersome task.
B&O Dealer
Old Apr 20th, 2013

New B&O earphones next month. Called H3 or H6
Old Apr 20th, 2013

K store out of beta, Bluray available!