Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old May 14th, 2014

For a cost effective solution, well, relatively anyway. I'm so pleased with BeoSound 5, it's interface is unmatched if you ask me, integrated cd drive for ripping and direct play, added Spotify support, able to decode full 192KHz/24bit flac, on board 1TB storage.

The only real downside is that unless you already use BeoLink, it'll mostly function as a purely standalone player, though it does provide a DLNA server as well.
Old Oct 1st, 2014

I've finally come to the conclusion, after comparing with other high quality hardwares, that the M-Class player analog output sound quality is outstanding. I have no idea what internal audio DAC it has on board, but it is as good as or better than all the other external DACs I have tried, and particularly, virtually indistinguishable from the highly regarded PS Audio DirectStream DAC that was recently awarded an A+ on Stereophile. Except that the recent DirectStream software update has edged it past the M-Class player, but it's still very close.
I would like to see the Kaleidescape store offer HD music downloads, and of course movie downloads as well which unfortunately remain unavailable in my market.
Old Oct 1st, 2014

You should try the Linn DS range of streamers as their high-end devices (Akurate & Klimax) really show a considerable improvement over the M-Class player for audio.
Old Oct 1st, 2014

I'm still optimistically holding on to hope that Kaleidescape will soon announce their next iteration player that will support DSDx2 playback, HD audio downloads from the K store, 7.1 MPCM 24/96, 4K and 3D.
Old Oct 1st, 2014

I hope you are right. Would be nice to know if this was coming before the sunset provision for servers! Loyalties and priorities would change dramatically.
Old Oct 1st, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
I've finally come to the conclusion, after comparing with other high quality hardwares, that the M-Class player analog output sound quality is outstanding. I have no idea what internal audio DAC it has on board, but it is as good as or better than all the other external DACs I have tried, and particularly, virtually indistinguishable from the highly regarded PS Audio DirectStream DAC that was recently awarded an A+ on Stereophile. Except that the recent DirectStream software update has edged it past the M-Class player, but it's still very close.
I would like to see the Kaleidescape store offer HD music downloads, and of course movie downloads as well which unfortunately remain unavailable in my market.
+1 on this. I have auditioned a couple of outboard DAC's in my home and I can't tell any improvement. People keep telling me I don't know what I am talking about. Of course, it could be partly due to my hearing not being what it used to be in my younger days.......

I have just given up comparing and just use my m500.

John
Old Oct 1st, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
I'm still optimistically holding on to hope that Kaleidescape will soon announce their next iteration player that will support DSDx2 playback, HD audio downloads from the K store, 7.1 MPCM 24/96, 4K and 3D.
This would be really nice. Everytime I talk to K I put in a plug for hi res audio and music downloads. My "spends" on music used to be double what my "spends" we're for movies. With the download store this has come down but I still spend more on music than movies.

John
Old Oct 3rd, 2014

Ok, so I will give K audio a try. I was going to buy a Meridian/Sooloos for the new house, but now I am intrigued. Can one do mass imports of .WAV files onto the K platform or do you have to load individual disks? Can one get hi-rez downloads onto K? It would strike me a real missed opportunity for K not to do some sort of high-end audio endpoint. There are literally dozens of new streaming devices on the market today. I have to imagine one of them would jump at the opportunity to develop a solution that works on K's closed network.

CJ
Old Oct 3rd, 2014

The only downloads you can get into Kaleidescape are movies from the Kaleidescape store. To get other content into Kaleidescape you need to import the CD/DVD/BR one at a time, either as a bulk import using a disc vault, or individually via the disc tray of a 1U player.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014

Could you kludge together the iTunes integration to sync files into the server?