Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old Jan 31st, 2019

Default UV shutting down 7/31

I just came across this article... https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...WHjDPO4R3aCfTc

Hopefully K is making some headway with MA... this double dipping is getting old
Old Jan 31st, 2019

The writing was on the wall for UV. This means K really needs to join MA before July.
Old Jan 31st, 2019

agreed billy!
Old Jan 31st, 2019

Yep. It’s go time for MA.
Old Jan 31st, 2019

Perhaps this is why none of the recently added Paramount back catalog titles came with UV?
Old Jan 31st, 2019

I'm wondering what happens to the movies I have in my Kaleidescape collection that are there because of the link to my UV locker?
Old Jan 31st, 2019

More info here: https://www.myuv.com/faq

"How can I access my existing movies and TV shows after UltraViolet shuts down?
In most cases, your movies and TV shows will be available via the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library at the time of UltraViolet shutdown. Linking to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption. Visit www.myuv.com/retailers for a list of retailers."

It'll be interesting to see what this means with our K and other retailer accounts. This is the very scary part of digital ownership. Let's hope UV and the retailers all do the right thing for the consumer.
Old Jan 31st, 2019

Angry Premiere systems even more important.

Well this makes upgrading to the Strato systems with the credit even less attractive. I have always believed in physical media as a backup. I might still purchase an Strato system for the 4k in the future but the premiere will continue to be the backbone of my system because of the inherent problem with digital rights.
Old Jan 31st, 2019

Once UV dies, the movies that came into K through UV should remain fully licensed in K (same as VUDU). It should now act like you natively bought them direct from K forever more.

The downside will be having movies in UV in UHD that are not yet UHD in K. In that case, you'll retain the HD rights. But if K launches the UHD version in August, you'll have to buy it again, since rights only actively port what's available in the store right now. Ideally, K will add a lot more UHD movie versions in the next few months to alleviate this.

It was pretty clear UV was going down. MA coming to prominence. Lionsgate, Universal, Sony, and such dropping UV. Even new releases from Warner and Paramount not coming with UV rights. I really hope this drives more studios into MA with haste.

Now is the perfect time for a K authority to post a calming message with hope for future linking to MA.
Old Jan 31st, 2019

Default Ultraviolet Closing

Looks like UV is going away soon. The message indicates "in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers"

Hopefully MA will kick in soon with Kaleidescape