Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Mar 10th, 2014

Default Power Supply for K-Server 2500

I'm looking for a new power supply to replace the broken one inside my K-Server 2500. Does anyone know the model of power supply for that unit and where I might be able to find it? Unfortunately, the unit is out of warranty so I'm left to fix it myself.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Mar 10th, 2014

One of our client's had the same need and had to go to the open market in search of a replacement. As you already know, K does not have the power service kits for the 5U Servers, and will not be getting any. I checked with him before answering here, but he doesn't remember the power supply model he finally used (he now has only 3U's), but he did say there was no exact supply available so he had to settle on a unit that met the same electrical requirements. That new supply was slightly larger than the old supply and required a slight modification to the 5U case in order for it to fit properly (I think he had to make one of the holes larger).

Perhaps someone else has recently changed theirs and had better luck finding a replacement, otherwise you will have to open the case and search for something compatible online.

Jim
Old Mar 10th, 2014

Thanks Jim. I have opened the case but have not completely removed the supply yet. I was hoping it would be a generic power supply but now I'm not so sure. If I make any progress with it, I'll be sure to feed the information back to the forum. I certainly did not want to end up altering the case.

There is an option to trade in the unit for a new one at a 15% discount. I'd like to research more cost effective solutions first as the new server was quoted at 11k+.
Old Mar 10th, 2014

My understanding is that the original power supply in your 5U is no longer available (or wasn't when my client/friend looked for a replacement). If that is still the case, you only have to find an equivalent in basic design and electrical capability and it should work, as it did for my friend.

The 5U trade up promo currently in place allows for a 20% discount if you trade in a 5U in exchange for a new 1U or new 3U. Each dealer sets their own pricing, some may be more expensive than others, but that may also be an indication of the service you can expect.

Jim

Tags
k-server 2500, power, power supply, supply