Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Alternatives to Kaleidescape

Old Apr 18th, 2018

Well, I'm not sure what the heck Oppo was thinking to begin with, but they totally shot themselves in the foot a couple years back.

I opened up a beautiful new home theater brick and mortar. I was able to pull in some really fantastic brands from some of the more boutique brands to major players like Sony/Yamaha/etc. I had always loved Oppo players for being the best Blu-Ray/DVD players when it came to audio (and multi-channel analog + XLR outputs!), so tried becoming a dealer for them too. The person I spoke to at Oppo HQ told me point blank that they were no longer partnering with brick and mortar retailers and installers, and in fact were even axing their lower volume resellers (like I would have honestly been). They told me they were going to start focusing on direct and on-line sales.

That really upset me on a personal level because it was the little mom & pop B&M's and the high end integrators that put Oppo on the very map to begin with!!! They were literally biting the hand that fed them. I don't know what knuckleheads up top at Oppo made this decision, but like much of modern business, I'm assuming it had to do with focusing on increasing overall profitability at the expense of low volume contributors (which all do add up btw). I can envision exactly how that boardroom meeting must have went in my head right now.

First they abandoned small retailers like me. Now they're abandoning an entire core market of theirs?! I understand that mobile tech is all the rage these days, but comon guys. Seriously?! Reminds me a bit of how (until this new iMac pro) Apple has long left one of its key markets (graphic designers, web developers, etc.) in the dust while focusing almost exclusively on iPhones. Oh, Oppo's planning on focusing on their mobile phone products too? Monkey see, monkey do I suppose. I understand it from looking at it from an MBA-fueled executive type position, BUT I hate it when companies abandon their roots in an effort to chase fluid market trends.
Old May 20th, 2018

I think it was me. I seem to be the A/V equivalent of "The Cooler". In my first dedicated movie theater I purchased the "Escient" disc server. Within 2 years they announced they were ceasing operations. Not to fear, shortly there after Sony announced and delivered its excellent 400 Disc Blu-ray Changers. Within about a year of purchase Sony left the Disc Changer market after a history of offering these devices. By that time I was getting interested in K and eventually pulled the trigger. 9 months later K announced it was closing its doors. Luckily like Richard Gere in "An Officer and a Gentleman" they had no where else to go and reopened.

So I ordered the Oppo 203 and two weeks later, before it even reached my home, Oppo announced it was leaving the Blu-ray Player Market. My only take away here is that my mutant power over Video Player Manufacturers appears to be growing stronger. Only K appears to have a buff for this power so I think that should be reassuring.
Old May 21st, 2018

From K to Dealers:

Limited-Time Kaleidescape Offer for Oppo Customers

What is the Offer:

With the recent announcement that Oppo Digital will no longer be making new products, Kaleidescape would like to help fill the vacancy left in the high-performance movie-playback arena by offering your Oppo customers an incentive to migrate to the next level of luxury home cinema performance: The Strato movie player.

A $300 credit toward any purchase at the Kaleidescape Movie Store will be included in the purchase price of a Strato 4K Ultra HD player by owners of qualifying Oppo Blu-ray players. This will provide an incentive for them to jump-start their upgraded movie experience with Kaleidescape’s 4K HDR downloads featuring lossless Dolby Atmos surround soundtracks.

Customers can continue to use their Oppo Blu-ray players and still take advantage of this incentive program. To prove eligibility, the dealer needs to provide proof of purchase of the qualifying Oppo player listed below, including the serial number from an Oppo invoice for that customer.

This promotion will expire on July 31, 2018 and is limited to one per customer.

Who is Eligible:

Any customer who purchased a qualifying Oppo player who purchases a Strato 4K Ultra-HD player.

Qualifying Oppo Players
UDP-205
UDP-203
BDP-105

Qualifying Kaleidescape Strato Movie Players
Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player—6TB (K0509-0006)
Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player—10TB (K0509-0010)

Contact your dealer for additional info or to place an order.

Jim
Old May 21st, 2018

Does this offer include people who already own an Oppo UDP player and a Strato or only for new Strato purchases? Thanks. SJ
Old May 21st, 2018

In the same boat as SJHT.

Too bad Kaleidescape’s offer doesn’t apply to hard drive purchases to extend the life and capacity of our Premier systems.
Old May 21st, 2018

Probably redundant, but is there any chance of extending this to the BDP-103?
Old May 22nd, 2018

No, this offer only applies to future Strato purchases, it is not retroactive.

Jim
Old May 22nd, 2018

Not sure about why 103 was not included, I'll check.

Jim
Old Jun 23rd, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
No, this offer only applies to future Strato purchases, it is not retroactive.

Jim
Jim,

Applies to the Strato S as well?

Thanks,

Kostas
Old Jun 23rd, 2018

Also what about if you purchase a new Terra? SJ