Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old Dec 3rd, 2009

Default Thoughts on Music with K/Is K falling behind?

Is Kaleidescape falling further behind in Music as other companies are offering much better systems/software? The K system is capable of everything other systems can do but the software is not keeping up with innovation of other music servers.

Offering the ability to work with Mac is long overdue.

Sooloos is offering streaming

I think the K is still the best video server on the market, but in this market could they not bolster there sales by improving the music side of things and become the leader in music servers also.

I hope this will spur some discussions and get k's attention so they catch up with and possibly surpass others in this music server category.
Old Dec 4th, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
Is Kaleidescape falling further behind in Music as other companies are offering much better systems/software?
Can you give an example?

Quote:
The K system is capable of everything other systems can do but the software is not keeping up with innovation of other music servers.
Again, an example will be helpful.

Quote:
Offering the ability to work with Mac is long overdue.
I know quite a few people want to see Kaleidescape integrate with iTunes somehow but as for myself thats is not something I want, need or require and here is why.
First off I use Kaleidescape for music 90% of the time the other 10% is for movies (my wife is the opposite, she uses Kaleidescape for movies 90% of the time and music 10%). When I use Kaleidescape for music I want to hear full, uncompressed, lossless audio. Compare that to iTunes, Rhapsody, or any other download/streaming service where you are going to get 256kb at the highest which is nowhere near the audio quality of the Kaleidescape.

Second, for music I still by CD's to import into Kaleidescape and if I ABSOLUTELY need it now I purchase music from Music Giants, burn it to CD and import it to Kaleidescape. Read my posting about Kaleidescape, iTunes, bit rate and music downloads HERE and Here.

Third, I think whats needed, more then iTunes integration is support for SACD (Super Audio CD). I have quite a large connection of SACD's but I can not import them into Kaleidescape which is a real bummer. I have been told over and over that Kaleidescape will not support SACD in the future.

Quote:
Sooloos is offering streaming
Again at what bit rate? Do I want to spend $15,000+ to stream 128kb internet audio when a $200 AppleTv that streams the same 128kb internet radio station will due?

Don't get me wrong, at some point Kaleidescape will offer streaming and downloading of audio but unless it's at the caliber of Music Giant's it will be a "me too" type of thing.

Quote:
I think the K is still the best video server on the market, but in this market could they not bolster there sales by improving the music side of things and become the leader in music servers also.
Kaleidescape is working on this but do not expect to see anything soon. By soon I mean with in a year AT LEAST.

For some reason when it comes to video people want the highest quality they can get. I know there is a contingency of potential Kaleidescape owners who are waiting to purchase a Kaleidescape system because it does not do Blu-Ray and are waiting for the Blue Laser Player. But when it comes to audio we gone in the reverse direction. We have gone from hi fidelity audio (Think of it in terms of Blu-Ray) down to Compressed, MP3's (iTunes/Rhapsody, think of analog, SD TV). When it comes to audio I want the best possible audio reproduction I can possibly get with my Kaleidescape system just as I do with video. I feel iTunes, Rhapsody and internet streaming just does not cut it on a Kaleidescape due to the poor audio quality.

These are just my personal opinions.
My Fiber Based Crestron DM System
Old Dec 4th, 2009

James you pretty much echo my own sentiments on the matter. I think the reason for the divide between video and audio is people think the visual is more important without realizing the importance of the sonic. Also I think its easier to plop down a large plasma tv and turn it on and watch it and think youre watching great video whereas audio is much more involved to get setup right.

There is always room for improvement but Im pretty happy with K's audio side.
Old Dec 4th, 2009

Default Music support for MACs

I'll throw my vote in for MAC support! I believe my first request for this was 2005 or 2006. K also needs to allow importing of music and exporting of high quality (lossless) music. I understand their desire to delivery the highest quality audio (bit for bit), but many users already have libraries. It should be the customer's choice. I do quite a bit of listening to music and I will not re-rip 50,000 uncompressed lossless tracks. I have been waiting patiently for them to add these features. It's a shame that I can't even speak to the music feature-set because of these two issues. Just my 0.02c
Old Dec 4th, 2009

Default As for 'falling behind'

My vendor has allowed me to live with a Sooloos for a few weeks. It's output is fair, but I send it through my DAC as I would do with my K output. The Sooloos' major advantage over the K offering is it's software. It's not even close! Over Thanksgiving I gave my guests access to the Sooloos with no instruction. They meandered through my collection for hours. It's like what I do with the K for movies in our guest rooms.

I didn't want to demo the Sooloos initially because they don't allow importing either, but they're Beta testing this function. So I was able to be the guinea pig. I would still like to have the K be my source for both movies and music. They best the Sooloos on most everything else (server robustness, service, scalability etc.).
Old Dec 6th, 2009

Thanks Reg for your report- thats very interesting.
Old Dec 6th, 2009

I'd never heard of Sooloos, but after some googling (and navigating around meridian's not-so-straightforward site) I looked into it. From their integration page:

Quote:
Download music and easily drop it into your system to make it available anywhere. Export music to any iTunes library or computer in your home, to have it available on all your portable devices.
Would love if I could do this with kscape. When I download MP3s from amazon, it's kind of annoying to have to burn then import (even worse when I just want a single track)
Old Dec 6th, 2009

The Sooloos works exactly the same in this respect. Downloading means ripping a cd (until the Beta is out). Also, just like the K, it will output mp3 (not uncompressed lossless). I have been told by my vendor that their customers are screaming for uncompressed lossless output as well.
Old Dec 6th, 2009

I would think the Sooloos will get some improved audio output/ processing compliments of their connection with Meridian... I like their interface a lot. But whose going to buy a product that does music only? Perhaps it is a better music system than K but you can get both with K. I agree though that K should have a look at this and consider improvements. There is always room for improvement.
Old Dec 7th, 2009

Thanks to everyone who has commented.

To reply to a few of the comments, the software side of things when it comes to music is where I feel k is not keeping up.

The example I give here would be the sooloos system which is offering several neat features. Thanks to Reg for posting his comments on the sooloos, this music server offers several cool features with more coming.

I tunes integration and Mac support are long overdue, super SACD would also be great, my point is just that the better the k system is, the better value it is. If someone is willing to spend 7900.00 or more on just a music server, the k system is a better value if the music software is equal or better than the competition.

If you get a chance to demo the sooloos system it is worth the time to check it out. There not doing anything K could not do and possibly do better.