Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old Nov 7th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Good morning, folks! Investigation is proceeding actively at this time. Early information is that it appears that there's a problem with the process that generates the music guide that's downloaded to your systems. That's why these albums are appearing as unrecognized -- their information is missing from the latest music guide updates.

Fixing whatever that problem is with guide generation should cause these albums to regain their information automatically.

Regarding the information from the old 2009 thread (that importing something could cause problems with restoring information) -- I don't know whether that's relevant in this situation or not. I'm trying to find out right now. As far as I know, that would only affect situations in which you have manually entered album information, if it applied at all.

I'll post more information as soon as I have some.
Old Nov 7th, 2016

Thanks Mike, I was just about to post same info (your are too fast!).

Jim
Old Nov 7th, 2016

Thanks Mike for the update
Old Nov 7th, 2016

I have not only missing art work but over 2200 albums are missing from the music screen and are not shown as available to play but are reported on the home screen in the count of albums. Also noticed that the free space had increased on one of my servers in 'the cluster' but there is nothing in the trash as both trash bins are empty which I am sure is also wrong
Old Nov 7th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Hello again, all. Just another quick update. We're testing a fixed version of the music guide data now. Assuming that it looks good, we will deploy it to the update servers, and systems will download it and process it. We're hopeful that this will start today, in which case systems should be back to normal late today or sometime tomorrow.

Out of an abundance of caution, it's probably best to avoid importing content or making manual changes to album information in the meantime.

Point of interest for the computer geeks: this problem does appear to be related to the network outage that affected our datacenter last week. The interruption in network connectivity happened to during the automatic creation of a music guide update, and that interruption caused the guide data to be incomplete. A failure of that type should have been detected, causing the guide preparation to abort. But, there was a bug that meant that a failure at that exact stage didn't get detected properly. We've fixed that bug as well, so in the very unlikely event of an identical failure in the future, this shouldn't happen again.
Old Nov 7th, 2016

I await with 'baited breath' as the music guide process has always been 'buggy' in that missing artwork that you manually add so as to have cover art for all albums just disappears randomly over time but this outage is major and different.

My biggest worry is why have nearly all my albums disappeared and the available storage increased on one of my servers where the albums are stored and yet none are in the trash! Perhaps the music guide fix will fix this to.

Saw a similar situation some months back when suddenly the available storage increased by 10% and I found several hundred DVD / BluRays in the trash despite me not doing anything - luckily I was able to restore them to the library without data loss.
Old Nov 7th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Hi Mark,

I spoke with some of the folks involved, and we think the reason you saw an increase in free space may be that when albums become unrecognized, the downloaded cover artwork and artist portraits get deleted.

Not sure how much your free space went up, but this could be the cause (plus the incomplete guide data itself was also substantially smaller).

Just sit tight, don't import or edit metadata on anything for now, and once the guide data is restored we'll hopefully see everything back to normal.
Old Nov 7th, 2016

OK will do as is time for bed here in Europe.

I do worry as why does the library only show 38 CD's on the music page rather than 2000+ that were in the library and free space has increased over 200Gb so that is a lot of artwork so I think the problem is bigger - I have emailed the screen prints to support so they have the data and server serial numbers.
Old Nov 7th, 2016

I have the same problem with 570 CD's on my 3U server. I tried calling... they were always great in the past. There seems to be a full-time voicemail box now. I miss my music and am concerned about the prospect of getting things working again. The Kaleidescape system is the electronic entertainment backbone of my home. Is it time to look for a replacement?
Old Nov 7th, 2016

Many thanks Mike & Jim, good to know things have moved forward at K so quickly after I reported the fault on these pages.

As with Mark H I'll be off to bed soon so I'll check the system tomorrow to see if the albums return.