Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old Jul 16th, 2011

I would very much like to keep High Resolution music on my K server. At present there are numerous suppliers of High Resolution music. High End HiFi manufacturers are becoming increasingly active in this area. I would not like to be restricted to music available from just one supplier.

It is still early days in the world of downloadable High Resolution music. There are many variables associated with playing and getting the best listening experience from such music. Ultimately a lot of these choices are personal to the listener. Many High End Hifi manufacturers have yet to fully embrace the highest resolutions available. Additionally, the original source needs to be of sufficient quality to make the extra cost of purchase worthwhile, this not always the case at the moment.

If a K system is to be made capable of importing, storing and playing High Resolution music I expect it will take a significant investment in hardware and software. I suspect there would be little return for that investment at present. However, I do expect High Resolution music will be compatible with a K system at some point in the future.

Imagine a Music Store closely related to K dedicated to providing high quality High Resolution music along with rich Metadata, that would be of interest to me.
Old Jul 17th, 2011

The person behind HD Tracks is David Chesky who has run an audiophile record label for many years now. He has a real commitment to audio quality and wouldn't tolerate the kind of phony high-resolution trickery described in this thread. Also, if you check, the only 24 bit content available on HD Tracks is stuff that is also available in 24 bit from other sources, either DVD-Audio, SACD or download.
Old Jul 17th, 2011

Perhaps it was a different service that was doing that. Certainly Chesky's reputation speaks for itself. I feel bad having brought it up now but I do recall seeing that article somewhere - I just cannot find it now and I would like to know the specific claims they were making and who it was about.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011

Wow- very recently the latest software update for the Meridian Sooloos system handles 192/24 files... so I guess the best quality audio that you can buy through hdtracks can now be imported in to the Meridian Sooloos as is, and played back without quality loss...
Old Jul 23rd, 2011

Great news thanks for sharing. Kudos to Meridian they are doing a great job with Sooloos.
Old Jul 27th, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
Wow- very recently the latest software update for the Meridian Sooloos system handles 192/24 files... so I guess the best quality audio that you can buy through hdtracks can now be imported in to the Meridian Sooloos as is, and played back without quality loss...
Indeed. I think before Kscape can start worrying about importing high-rez music, they need to catch up to what others have been doing for several years: exporting music to Apple computers, exporting uncompressed music, and importing music of ANY resolution or file format at all, let alone 192/24. And that's without touching on internet music sources. +1 for Sooloos here.
Old Aug 7th, 2011

Next to hd resolution, it would be a huge leap forward, if Kscape would support streaming to other HighEnd MediaClients like the LINN or Naim Series. I would appreciate that very much, because I could then dump the unstable Twonky media stuff with really shitty control programs on the IPad/IPhone.
Old Jan 25th, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkAndres View Post
I would appreciate that very much, because I could then dump the unstable Twonky media stuff with really shitty control programs on the IPad/IPhone.
Me too. I have all my music on Twonky and on Kaleidscape (with Kscape feeding iTunes with 1 playlist per user account, and 1 user account per member of my family). I run Linn DS stuff for music in two rooms, and kscape (via linn knekt) for multiroom audio.

I'd love it if the Kscape could serve the music to the Linn - but I'd also can come up with a long list of why Kaleidescape shouldn't do this (i.e risk decreasing the quality of the whole system). I'd pay a licence fee I think to make the kscape serve multiple uPnP streams.

Richard