Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Aug 6th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
That's correct with a caveat. Terra uses all four drives for content storage (no RAID for content), so if you were to have a drive failure, it would be necessary to download the content that was on that drive again.

The library information, though, is written to all four disks, so if you lost a disk, you would not lose any information about the contents of the library, or any customizations you might have done (scenes, changes to metadata, collections, etc.)
Does the Terra store the same information that is stored for its drives about the "attached" Strato or Alto. THAT would at least be helpful. When I had my Alto replaced, I lost ALL of my catalogued movies that were not stored on the Alto. A MAJOR bummer since it was about 500 additional movies that I had catalogued.
Old Aug 6th, 2017
Kaleidescape, Inc.

If you have Strato or Alto players (with storage) in a system with a Terra, or indeed in a system with another Strato or Alto player that has storage, then the cataloged disc information exists on all of those components. If one component were to fail or go offline, the other components would still have that information available.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cataloged information on the Alto. We have ambitions to bring library information into "the cloud" in the future, both for backup purposes and because it could improve the experience a lot for people who may have systems in more than one home. At this point, though, there's no public schedule for that feature.
Old Aug 7th, 2017

Quote:
The library information, though, is written to all four disks, so if you lost a disk, you would not lose any information about the contents of the library, or any customizations you might have done (scenes, changes to metadata, collections, etc.)
That is good news at least.
Old Aug 7th, 2017

Quote:
If you have Strato or Alto players (with storage) in a system with a Terra, or indeed in a system with another Strato or Alto player that has storage, then the cataloged disc information exists on all of those components. If one component were to fail or go offline, the other components would still have that information available.
THAT is good news. I'm no where near the point of needing a Terra but this might push me over the edge to purchase a Strato.
Old Aug 20th, 2017

I remember K announced some Strato alternatives with no memory, 6 Terra Bytes (original model), 10 Terra Bytes and maybe one more. What is the MSRP of the new ones? (10TB and larger)?

Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2017

Strato-C (No storage, playback only, small footprint) $3,495
Strato w/6TB internal storage, $4,495
Strato w/10TB internal storage, $5,995

Terra Servers:
24TB is $7,995 (4 6TB)
40TB is $12,995 (4 10TB)

All prices retail. Those are the only Strato and Terra versions currently available.

Jim
Old Aug 20th, 2017

Jim:

Since you are a K dealer, can we go off line and talk about the possibility of me purchasing a K product from you?

Not sure how to do that since this site has no ability to do Private Messages that I can see.
Old Aug 20th, 2017

Jim would be a great person to purchase from. To send a PM, click his user name and then hit send a private message.

Kevin D.
Old Aug 20th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin D View Post
Jim would be a great person to purchase from. To send a PM, click his user name and then hit send a private message.

Kevin D.
Thanks. I tried that and was not given that option. But then realized I was not logged in

I will PM him.