Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Movies & Music Discussions > Movies & Music Discussions

Old Sep 15th, 2013

Default Sony "4K" UHD download store, anyone using it yet?

I was just reading an article talking about Sony's upcoming VPL-VW500ES projector. While the article was neat, it talked about ". . .Sony just launched its 4K movie download service called Video Unlimited 4K, which already offers 70 movie titles and the hit TV show Breaking Bad."

Ref:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490379/ne...4k-lower-price

Is any of the "4K" UHD users out there signed on, if so, how is it?
Old Sep 15th, 2013

Thats a cool projector.

I'm not using it... for now...
Old Sep 15th, 2013

To clarify, is anyone using the "Video Unlimited 4K" service, not the projector...
Old Sep 23rd, 2013

Not sure that 500 is available yet, but if not, it will be soon. In addition to my DPI Titan Ref in my main theatre, I also have the Sony VW1000ES 4K PJ and their 84" 4K flat panel. The 84" will be getting an HDMI upgrade when I return to my FL house next week, and this will allow it to use the new FMP-X1 that is required to get the 4K downloads you mentioned. Sony recently announced they will also be upgrading the VW1000ES to make it compatible with the 4K download service. Those upgrades should start soon as well.

The 84" came with a 4K media server (Dell) that had 4K content pre-loaded, including 11 movies, and I'm expecting the download service to be of the same quality, which for the most part is superb. (For us 84" owner's Sony is swapping out the FMP-X1 for the Dell Server free of any charges. The downside is we do not get Lawrence of Arabia 4K on the X1, and we have that on the Dell. No choice here, Sony owns the Dell and we signed a document acknowledging a "lease" arrangement for the Dell when we bought the 84" that allows Sony to take it back at their discretion.)

I do plan to download some of the available 4K movies to use on the larger screens, but these will be in addition to the BR version that I will also keep available in my K system (needed for other display's in the house). I will comment further on the 4K download service in the coming weeks as I gain access.

(Sorry for the "extra" content not asked for in your question, but others may read this post and find the info helpful. (or maybe not)

Jim

Tags
sony, store, uhd