Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Movies & Music Discussions > Movies & Music Discussions

Old Mar 31st, 2017
Default American Sniper - 4K HDR version

I have the American Sniper HD version with Dolby Atmos. Just curious if anyone has upgraded to the new HDR version to see if it is significantly better than the HD version or worth the $15.99 upgrade fee. I do not see that WB ever released a 4K HDR Blu-ray disk.
Old Sep 14th, 2017

I just purchased American Sniper in HDR today, I'll let you know how it looks once I've had a chance to watch it!
Old Feb 6th, 2018

I didn't get around to buying the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of American Sniper from the Kscape store until last week, thus this late post. There isn't such a thing as a bad Clint Eastwood film and American Sniper isn't bad, either. It isn't a classic in a class with either Unforgiven or Million Dollar Baby but what film is.

My (mild) disappointment with this film is attributed to its, to me at least, weak TrueHD Atmos soundtrack. My overhead speakers were inactive most of the time and the film's LFE was underwhelming. Nevertheless, the overall sound design was effective, as indicated by its Oscar for Best Achievement in Sound Editing. I suspect the problem with the Atmos effects stems from it having been released so early in the Atmos era. Despite these quibbles, I liked American Sniper and gave it a vote on IMDb of 8 Stars out of 10.
gwsat on AVS Forum

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu Bookshelf speakers 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker 4 Focal in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 BD player; TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR