Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Movies & Music Discussions > Movies & Music Discussions

Old Jul 20th, 2013

Default "Mastered in 4K" - Do these work and is it worth it?

All,

In watching upcoming Blu-Ray releases, it appears Sony is releasing titles with tag line "Mastered in 4K", with subtagged lines "optimized for 4k ultra HD TVs" and "Plays on all Blue-Ray players. . ."

Ref:
Amazon.com: Spider-Man  (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy): Spider-Man: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Spider-Man (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy): Spider-Man: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Total Recall (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy): Total Recall: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Total Recall (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy): Total Recall: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Ghostbusters  (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy): Ghostbusters: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Ghostbusters (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy): Ghostbusters: Movies & TV

I could see how a modern movie like Total Recall could have source to support this, but older movies like Spider Man 2, or closer to my childhood titles like Ghostbusters having source worthy of this transfer?

Do these actually work on Kaleidescape systems?

Is there improvement in these new re-released in this transfer on 1080P or 4K displays?

Is this a purely marketing play?

Cheers
Old Jul 22nd, 2013

I have seen a few side by side comparisons and in general it seems these new releases have a little more dynamic range but thats about it. My take away is its not really worth it to repurchase a title, but for a new one, it might be worth a small premium to get the best image on Blu Ray.
Old Aug 2nd, 2013

I have now been able to test these titles and on a 1080p display there was almost no difference in pic quality, but I was able to correctly select the 4K version. I have the 84" 4K Sony, and used that to also compare the 1080p version of the film (through a K Player), and the mastered in 4K version, and I was able to see detail improvements in the 4K version on the 4K TV. I also have the actual 4K version of those films, they were included in the 4K media player that came with the TV, and from inside 8 feet I could tell the 4K version was slightly better, but when seated further away, the images looked about the same.

Jim
Old Aug 2nd, 2013

Fascinating Jim. So even with a true 4K source it wasn't that much better? I heard 4K isn't just about the resolution, its also color depth etc...
Old Aug 3rd, 2013

I purchased "Total Recall mastered in 4K", as the previous Blu Ray version was freezing up during playback, when played in Bitstream Passthrough (Dolby True HD, I believe).

The good news is this version doesn't freeze up during playback.

I agree with the above posts that there really wasn't much noticeable difference in picture quality when projected from my calibrated Runco VX22 on a 7-1/2 foot wide screen.

Dave