Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Movies & Music Discussions > Movies & Music Discussions

Old May 7th, 2016

Default Dolby Atmos

I've watched and reviewed a ton of Atmos encoded movies and I just posted up a blog with my top 11 Dolby Atmos demo scenes. All of the movies are available in the Kaleidescape store too!

http://www.johnsciacca.com/apps/blog...os-demo-scenes

Enjoy!
John
Old May 8th, 2016

Thank you so much for your recommendations. As I have just recently added Dolby Atmos capability to my theater, I was very interested in your recommendations. I have been reading that the Dolby Atmos soundtrack has only been added to the 4K versions of most of the movies now being released and that sometimes downloaded movies will not always include the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Have you or can someone from Kaleidescape verify that there is a Dolby Atmos soundtrack on each of these movies downloaded from the Kaleidescape movie store?
Old May 8th, 2016

I can definitely confirm that all of the movies purchased from Kaleidescape store feature the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. (Well, I'm not sure about Dracula....I don't know which version of they film they have.) When you play back the movie under Audio Info it says Dolby TrueHD: Atmos. They used to have a collection titles Dolby Atmos which sorted out all the films for you.

If you buy only one title, definitely get Mad Max first. Amazing audio and video and just a super entertaining film. If you get two, then add Gravity. If three, then add San Andreas. Those would be my top 3 recs (so far) for audio. Game of Thrones Seasons 1, 2 and 5 have also been released with DA audio. I haven't watched 5 yet (on Blu-ray) but 1 and 2 both look and sound terrific. Sadly not available from K.

While not listed on my review list, American Sniper is by far the most disappointing Atmos release so far. There are literally only like 5 or 6 moments in the entire film that utilize the overhead speakers. You can read my review here: http://www.residentialsystems.com/blogentry/992

Also if your receiver/pre-pro can decode DTS:X I can confirm that American Ultra purchased from the store definitely includes this soundtrack.

Happy listening!
John Sciacca
Old May 9th, 2016

Thanks John for responding and providing the additional information. Just to confirm that you are referring to the Blu-ray downloads from the store and not the 4K downloads that have the Dolby Atmos soundtracks.

I actually have Mad Max, Gravity and San Andreas on Blu-ray discs, but the only one of those I have watched yet was Gravity. I have been meaning to watch the other two and now I have an additional reason to put them higher on my list.
Old May 9th, 2016

Default 5th Wave and Atmos

Does anybody know if the just-added 5th Wave (UHD version) in the Kaleidescape store includes the Atmos soundtrack?

The Kaleidescape movie store lists the audio as Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.

The Blu-Ray version of 5th Wave is Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1.

The 4K Blu-Ray version of 5th Wave is Dolby Atmos.
Old May 10th, 2016

SShearer: Definitely the Blu-ray (quality) download

RAV: I can confirm that the UHD discs of these titles have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, but don't know about the Kaleidescape UHD version. If it lists it as DTS then I'd say no... Perhaps Mike Kobb or someone else from K can weigh in on this.....? Would certainly be great -- and reasonable to expect -- if the UHD downloads featured the same object based audio as the disc....
Old May 10th, 2016

I see this as an extremely important point. Kaleidescape is a high-end system, and for many people (myself included), for action films, the audio is as important as the video.

So yes - I would love to hear Mike or someone else from Kaleidescape weigh in on this.

My expectation is that this movie will be Atmos (like the disc version) since Kaleidescape is supposed to be "bit for bit" when it comes to discs. If so - this should be marked in the movie store so we know. If not - well that is a whole other conversation!
Old May 10th, 2016

So I just received some pretty disturbing news from Kaleidescape. Apparently 4K movies in the movie store are not capable of Atmos at this time and there is no ETA on when this will be rectified.

So things I am waiting for:

- 4K movies with Atmos (no ETA)
- Being able to use my disc server (delayed)
- Being able to use my full 2.40 screen to select movies (delayed)
- Being able to have any audio beyond compressed 5.1 (delayed)
- 3D (feature dropped)
- Paramount (was told imminent months ago - no updates since then)
- Fox 4K (announced three months ago - no updates since then)
Old May 10th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
So I just received some pretty disturbing news from Kaleidescape. Apparently 4K movies in the movie store are not capable of Atmos at this time and there is no ETA on when this will be rectified.

So things I am waiting for:

- 4K movies with Atmos (no ETA)
- Being able to use my disc server (delayed)
- Being able to use my full 2.40 screen to select movies (delayed)
- Being able to have any audio beyond compressed 5.1 (delayed)
- 3D (feature dropped)
- Paramount (was told imminent months ago - no updates since then)
- Fox 4K (announced three months ago - no updates since then)
This is all very disappointing. Hopefully, many of the functionality items will be addressed in the next two KOS updates, now reported to be coming in May and June, respectively. I will be holding off on buying any additional Kscape UHD downloads until they start offering them with the same audio that comes on the UHD Blu-ray disc of the title.
Old May 10th, 2016

I thought we already knew that the Strato could not play lossless audio until the codecs are update with the new KOS coming in June.

John

Tags
atmos, demo, dolby, movie, scenes