Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Dec 1st, 2010

Thought so. Can I follow it's progress via the web browser?
Old Dec 1st, 2010

Make sure you remove the failed drive first however, otherwise it will "add" the drive to the system instead of use it for a rebuild.
Old Dec 1st, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Make sure you remove the failed drive first however, otherwise it will "add" the drive to the system instead of use it for a rebuild.
Understood. My 1U server was already full, had to take out the failed drive and it was replaced with the new drive.

New question: how efficient is the system with basically now having two half full drives? Will the system completely rebuild across all drives?
Old Dec 1st, 2010

It's not something you really need worry about. At the end of the rebuild process the system will be returned to a functional state whereby if another disc were to fail, you don't lose any content. The degree that the capacity of each disc in the array is filled is not relevant (although my understanding is the rebuilt array will have an even distribution of data across the disc set).
Old Dec 1st, 2010

Welcome Horsley...

I'm fascinated to hear about this drive failure and how the rebuild process goes... mostly because it really IS rare. I've had Kaleidescape for nearly 5 years now I think, first a 5U that eventually was filled with 12 discs, then a loaner 1U which had 4 disks, then both were swapped for my current 3U with 7 discs. I have about 1100 movies and 400 CDs. Never ONCE in 5 years, with a total of 23 drives have I had a failure.

But it's nice to know if and when it does happen, my collection is safe. It's probably wise to have that extra degree of caution once you're running with a drive failure, but personally I doubt I'd shut down my server. The drives fail SO rarely, and I use my system SO often, that I'd just plow on ahead while the new drive was sent. The failure rate is so low, I wouldn't worry about a double-failure during the 3-4 days you were running without a spare.

I wouldn't worry about it... it's extremely UNCOMMON and the system has been designed to handle failures with no interruption in movie or music playback.

It's like having a tire blow out on the highway 50 miles from the nearest gas station... you put your spare tire on, and you get yourself to the gas station when you're able, or as many of us do, you just drive on your spare for a few days until you can shop for a good deal on the permanent replacement tire. Yes, in the rare event of a second blowout during that day or two you'd be in deep trouble, but it's pretty rare, so you'd happily drive on (carefully) using your spare until you could get another tire.

Old Dec 2nd, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
... it's extremely UNCOMMON and the system has been designed to handle failures with no interruption in movie or music playback...
I think the only interruption occurs when the array is rebuilding itself, at which time playback or importing is not possible.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010

Playback is available during a rebuild. importing is not.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010

I just had a drive fail and everything was protected and K was wonderful. AND OMG I just forgot I have to send my old drive back to them! I completely forgot! eek
Old Dec 2nd, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
I think the only interruption occurs when the array is rebuilding itself, at which time playback or importing is not possible.

Correct on importing, but you should be able to use the system for playback.

Jim
Old Dec 3rd, 2010

All,

Thank you for all your reassuring messages. I look forward to receiving the equipment and having an enjoyable trouble free time over the holidays.

Horsley