Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Nov 28th, 2010

Default Failed drive message

Just received my first, and hopefully only, failed or missing drive message. Of course it's Sunday, so support is understandably not available.

My collection is well over 400 discs now, and I don't want the system to completely fail. Question is should I shut the system down or leave it powered up, but not use it?

Mike
Old Nov 28th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Just received my first, and hopefully only, failed or missing drive message. Of course it's Sunday, so support is understandably not available.

My collection is well over 400 discs now, and I don't want the system to completely fail. Question is should I shut the system down or leave it powered up, but not use it?

Mike
Mike

When I got that I rebooted and my server and drive re-bulit it self which is good. However, you will likely need to replace that drive soon.

NOTE: If you decide to reboot did it through the Web utility interface.
e.g. http://my-kaleidescape.local/ (on a MAC)

Someone else here may suggest something different. Good Luck, hope it re-bulids.

Brendon
Old Nov 28th, 2010

Thanks. I tried rebooting. No change.
Old Nov 28th, 2010

Mike,

We just spoke, so you know my advice, but for others that might have this issue arise on a weekend, in general you can continue to use a 3U with one failed drive while awaiting a replacement drive because of the Hot Spare (that's one of the benefits of a 3U).

My advice for 1U/5U/Mini-System, is shut the system down until you have a replacement drive.

All of this assumes a drive has actually failed.

Jim
Old Nov 28th, 2010

Mike: A client of mine just went through the same thing about two weeks ago; though Kaleidescape notified me via phone (it was on a Tuesday) as the dealer. They offered him a really sweet deal for replacing the defective drive; replace his 750 GB drive with a refurbished 750 for like $250 or upgrade to a new 2 TB drive for 20% off. If you have to buy a new one, hopefully it won't be too painful. Also, when I was going through the replication process to the new drives, they advised restarted via the Web interface saying it was easier on the drives. Hope that helps.
John
Old Nov 28th, 2010

I just had a drive fail as well. K was great as usual. Anyone reading this- make sure to read Jims advice about which server you have.
Old Nov 29th, 2010

Just an update:

Just got off the phone with support. Eventhough I'm 7 days out of warranty, they're replacing the drive with a 2 Tb. Sweet. Should be here on Wendsday.

Great service to go with a fantastic product.

Last edited by MikeG; Nov 29th, 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typos
Old Nov 29th, 2010

That's Awesome!. K really is great.
Old Nov 30th, 2010

The other thing to take note of is, sometimes a drive can just pop out of it's slot for no reason, which will result in a failed drive report. It happened to me, the corrective action was just to re-seat the disc in the server. The array still needs to be rebuilt in this case. Always worthy of checking that the drive is properly seated.
Old Nov 30th, 2010

Agreed. That corrective action was indeed tried. Not the cause in my situation but worth mentioning for others.