Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Feb 8th, 2016

Force of habit. I must have mislearned it as ap instead of app and just do it from force of habit. I can fix it.
Old Feb 8th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Green View Post
The iPad app should definitely work with Strato. I am using it right now with a Strato. Can you be more specific about the difficulty you are having when trying to use the app with your Encore system?
John, I remember that in the past we could switch between two different K systems in the same network with the iPad app. I don't get this option now, the app sees only my Premiere system and not the Alto(soon to be Strato)/Terra.
Old Feb 8th, 2016

Same here. It only sees my premier system. Also the premier system doesn't let me switch to the encore via the web interface but the encore knows there is a premier system and let's me select that under the other systems option.
Old Feb 8th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telem View Post
John, I remember that in the past we could switch between two different K systems in the same network with the iPad app. I don't get this option now, the app sees only my Premiere system and not the Alto(soon to be Strato)/Terra.
The only time when the iPad app allows for selecting between multiple systems is during the initial setup. Once you select a system, the app always connects to that system then from then on only allows selecting different players within that system.

In order to link the app to a different system, you need to launch the iPad's settings app, select "Kaleidescape" in the side bar and then either:

a) change the IP address entered in the "Kaleidescape Server IP Address" field to the IP address of your Encore system; or,
b) Set the "First-Time Setup" toggle to "On" and relaunch the iPad app. At that point, you will have the list of systems to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Also the premier system doesn't let me switch to the encore via the web interface but the encore knows there is a premier system and let's me select that under the other systems option.
This is due to the fact that the version of kOS running on Premiere systems doesn't recognise Encore systems. This will be fixed in a future release of kOS for Premiere systems.
Old Feb 8th, 2016

Would it be possible to have two installations of the iPad app (see, I can change!!) so we could swap from system to system? Or will I need to have one iPad configured to the Encore system and another configured to the Premier?
Old Feb 9th, 2016

Very nice initial write up! Thank you! Are you playing HD through the Strato as well? How does it look upscaled?
Old Feb 9th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Would it be possible to have two installations of the iPad app (see, I can change!!) so we could swap from system to system? Or will I need to have one iPad configured to the Encore system and another configured to the Premier?
It's not possible to have two installations, but what we are likely to do is to add a feature to the iPad app to make it easier to switch systems. There's no scheduled date for such a feature, but it seems like it's going to be needed by customers, especially in the near term before it becomes possible to do the Premiere -> Encore migration.

To answer another question that was raised: Wi-Fi can only be used when the Strato is a standalone component. (This is the same as Alto.) Wi-Fi is just not reliable enough to consistently deliver video playback, especially at 4K Ultra HD data rates.
Old Feb 12th, 2016

Smile

Hey guys - first time kaleidescape owner. Just got my Strato.

Question for people familiar with the downloads. Is it better for me to only que up 1 download at a time? Right now i'm experiencing slower than expected downloads ( around 90 mins per bluray). I have all 120 ish movies que'd up, so i wonder if its faster for me to schedule each movie 1 by 1 vs all at once? Just surprised at my download speeds currently (especially since I have 150/150 download capabilities).

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naylorman32 View Post
Question for people familiar with the downloads. Is it better for me to only que up 1 download at a time? Right now i'm experiencing slower than expected downloads ( around 90 mins per bluray). I have all 120 ish movies que'd up, so i wonder if its faster for me to schedule each movie 1 by 1 vs all at once? Just surprised at my download speeds currently (especially since I have 150/150 download capabilities).
Downloads from the store only proceed one title at a time so having multiple titles in your queue has no effect on your current download speed.

A couple of things to check:

1) Are you using your system whilst the downloads are active? System activity will cause the downloads to be throttled.

2) Have you changed your download speed setting on the store download page? It defaults to 100 Mbps but you can set it higher (150, 200, 300 and Unlimited).

Beyond that, you could be encountering network congestion and/or traffic shaping by your ISP.
Old Feb 12th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Green View Post
Downloads from the store only proceed one title at a time so having multiple titles in your queue has no effect on your current download speed.

A couple of things to check:

1) Are you using your system whilst the downloads are active? System activity will cause the downloads to be throttled.

2) Have you changed your download speed setting on the store download page? It defaults to 100 Mbps but you can set it higher (150, 200, 300 and Unlimited).

Beyond that, you could be encountering network congestion and/or traffic shaping by your ISP.

I haven't used it since I started downloading everything. I do have it set at Unlimited, but still seem to be stuck around 60ish mb/s. I will check on the network now. Its plugged directly into the mail router. Would it make any difference if I unplugged all other sources (video game consoles, AVR, etc.) and only have the Strato fed into the router? Or is that just me pretending I have any clue how to increase speed haha

Thanks for the reply!