Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Feb 3rd, 2016

Default Strato Player - First impressions

I just got my Strato player and started downloading some new content. I noticed a couple things that were pretty cool.

First, they offer a wifi option. I don't know if that will be viable for streaming content from another server of if this is just mainly for downloading off the store and getting web updates. I have not set this up yet as I am running a wired connection to max out my speed.

The download cap has new options: 150, 200, 250, 300 and unlimited mbps.

I have set mine to unlimited and while watching a 4K movie, I saw this:
(Download throttled due to user activity)

I stopped the playback to see how fast my download speed will end up hitting. I think my download speed at my house is 130mbps based on my last speed test. I can't wait to see how fast some people can push it up to and would love to see how fast the new Terra Servers and Strato players can write new content to the drives. Right now it has to download a guide update. I am totally bushed and will let it download overnight but will report back how it went tomorrow.
Old Feb 3rd, 2016

Thanks for sharing some first impressions. Can't wait to hear more!

I'm especially interested in impressions of the new 4K UI and in the quality of the upscaling.

Congratulations!!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2016

That is really interesting on the download speed options! I was hoping the speed would be increased at some point. I will now need to check into pricing on higher speeds through my ISP.

I was hoping that someone would give a review of the 4K player and content. It will be even more interesting when there are titles with HDR and wide color gamut.

John
Old Feb 3rd, 2016

The user guide says Wi-Fi is only for use as a standalone installation. So my guess would be they don't recommend using it for any communications (other than downloads, which will just have to take the bandwidth hit.) Will be interesting to see if they force standalone when on Wi-Fi or just glare angrily if you try.
Old Feb 4th, 2016

The Alto does the throttling thing due to activity as well. Pretty smart logic to ensure there isn't disk activity or processing activity that would in anyway disrupt the movie watching experience if someone is doing that.

Does the Strato offer the ability to set up playlists and such like the premier line does? I really need that functionality and I was hoping as things generally migrate to the encore line that some of those features would start to show up (Alto is part of encore).
Old Feb 4th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshATX View Post
............Does the Strato offer the ability to set up playlists and such like the premier line does? I really need that functionality and I was hoping as things generally migrate to the encore line that some of those features would start to show up (Alto is part of encore).

If you are referring to the Scripts function found in the Premiere line, the answer is "no," unfortunately scripting did not migrate to the Encore line (but K is not completely ruling out a change in the future).

If you are referring to music "Playlists," the Encore line does not work with CD's (music) (except of course for music videos).

Jim
Old Feb 7th, 2016

So how does the new UI look on a 4K display? faster? clearer?
Old Feb 7th, 2016

It looks clearer and is much faster, but for me it isn't a fair comparison. I have like 10 titles on the Strato interface and nearly 2400 on the Premier interface. It will be a while before I can really compare an M-series and an Encore player's interface under similar conditions.

Both systems use the same remote. I could convert one to use Toshiba codes and the other to use Kenwood codes, but I am going to have to get another remote to do that. (I have given up on Crestron - too expensive every time I change components and I don't use learning remotes any more.)

Also, the Kaleidescape ap for my iPad won't control the Encore system. There also is not a link to a Java controller via the web interface for the Encore like the is for the Premier.
Old Feb 8th, 2016
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Also, the Kaleidescape ap for my iPad won't control the Encore system.
The iPad app should definitely work with Strato. I am using it right now with a Strato. Can you be more specific about the difficulty you are having when trying to use the app with your Encore system?
Old Feb 8th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Also, the Kaleidescape ap for my iPad won't control the Encore system.
I'm sorry, but I just have to ask Why do you spell "app" as "ap"? I've noticed it many times, so I know it's not a typo!