Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Apr 27th, 2010

I would ask this also over at the Lumagen forums

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/forum...3d3c4c42dea659

I dont have this issue since my video out is 480i. It works fine with 480i.

Also, are you running the latest firmware?

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ancexs_updates
Old Apr 27th, 2010

Yes, latest firmware installed on the Lumagen.

Kaleidescape Tech Support just called me and we've settled on a workaround. The issue is only evident with PAL content when the K player is set to output 576i to the Lumagen (it is not evident with PAL content from other sources at 576i, or with NTSC content at 480i or 480p with the K). So K have forced my player to output 576p to the Lumagen for PAL content, and that is working fine.

I'm to understand that Lumagen will be working on a software workaround so that it can overcome the issue with the K player's 576i output. Ultimately I'd like to be able to use the horse power of the Lumagen to do the de-interlacing, and scaling, not just the scaling.

Finally can I just say that K tech support are the best!!
Old Apr 28th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
I'm to understand that Lumagen will be working on a software workaround...
Lumagen have now pointed out that whilst than can do some software to overcome the problem with 576i/50 it will be low on their priority list as there is no demand for it. Only me it seems has non-1080P K player and the Radiance and mostly PAL content! And as they also rightly point out, the crux of the problem is a timing error in the HDMI output of the K player and the fix should really be happening there.

I just hope the problem does not carry over to the new K player. Lumagen would like to test under NDA how the new K player behaves with their video processor, but they're not on the list and don't expect to get their hands on one. Unfortunately.
Old Apr 28th, 2010

That is a major bummer. Going back to the other thread and discussing HD-SDI, maybe you really are a candidate to see if someone could modify your player to get SDI output or even to rework the HDMI out?
Old Apr 28th, 2010

As far as I know the only K players that can be modded for SD-HDI are those that pre-date the KP5000. I'd be most surprised if the hardware of the new player would be HD-SDI moddable. The KP5000 does almost as good a job at deinterlacing well done film based content as the Radiance. Unfortunately the Radiance can't do PreP (reinterlace then DI) like the DVDO can, but I believe it's on their list for new feature development. So the workaround for the HDMI timing error on the output of the K player for PAL content is not really an issue. But I am a little surprised that K fixed the problem for NTSC but not for PAL.