Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Oct 27th, 2015

Well, I was thinking about this. Any 4K title currently in the new store should be available for download into our old Premier systems as HD or DVD quality when we buy the 4K version, so our Premier server can show all the content in one place - it would just need a way to denote that we have it in 4K on the Encore. The Strato player might have a more difficult time seeing what we have on Premier if the two really cannot talk to each other.

As I won't have 4K in every room, I do plan to have all my 4K content in 1080p resolution on my old system as well. This will work for all as long as we have space and Disney is not involved as many (most?) legacy Premier systems have not opted in to the Disney store option and with the Encore line, we won't have to lose importing on our Premier to be able to access 4K Disney content from the store either. There is our silver lining I guess.
Old Oct 27th, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Any 4K title currently in the new store should be available for download into our old Premier systems as HD or DVD quality when we buy the 4K version, so our Premier server can show all the content in one place - it would just need a way to denote that we have it in 4K on the Encore.
I wouldn't care for any system that *relied* on this situation because at some point there WILL be movies released on 4K that there are no HD/DVD quality versions of. Case in point, they've said that they plan to support 3D on 4K, but we're NEVER getting 3D on Premiere. So as soon as one buys a 3D 4K movie, unless you happen to get the 2D version of that for free as well (possible, but maybe not likely), you've broken the above paradigm.

--Donnie
Old Oct 27th, 2015

Every time I have purchased an HD film from the online store, when I look I have had the option to download the DVD version to any system I own at no charge.

If we are talking hypothetically, yes there will be 4K versions of films not available in DVD much like there are HD films not available on VHS. Is there a single title in the store that is available in HD that is not available in DVD quality? I don't really foresee films being released exclusively in 4K and not in HD versions until HD is such a thing of the past that it is dying. DVD isn't even dead yet.

Getting 3D support on the Stratos but not the premier line is not a case in point. That is a hardware limitation of the premier line players and for Kaleidescape to retool and make a new player with 3D capability isn't going to sell enough to cover the costs of developing it if it doesn't add 4k or something more compelling that just an upgrade to add 3D for thousands of dollars.

I do think the example I listed would work. One other downfall I see though is that your catalog that shows all your titles would be on the premier and so it wouldn't be in 4K like the Stratos player would be.
Old Oct 27th, 2015

Quote:
Every time I have purchased an HD film from the online store, when I look I have had the option to download the DVD version to any system I own at no charge.
The one exception is Disney - as far as I can tell there are ONLY HD versions with no DVD versions available on the store. It doesn't really affect me since I have no plans to opt-in.

In general, I like your idea - a decent work around if there is no other solution. I could even see going in and modifying the movie data to change the title on 4K movies to add something like "4K Available" (or add 4K cover art) so we know to check the "other" server for the 4K version.

On 3D, although the FAQ say that the Strato could support 3D at some point, Kaleidescape has never said that they would offer 3D in the store (not said that they wouldn't either). So for now, 3D is up in the air.

John
Old Oct 28th, 2015

It seems 4K is so much in flux at this point that we just have to kind of ride along with it as it emerges.
Old Oct 28th, 2015

Quote:
That is a hardware limitation of the premier line players and for Kaleidescape to retool and make a new player with 3D capability isn't going to sell enough to cover the costs of developing it if it doesn't add 4k or something more compelling that just an upgrade to add 3D for thousands of dollars.
There's still existing non-4k features to be added, like in-device audio decoding. However, I suspect 3D would probably be a bigger draw than folks may want to give it credit.