Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Oct 1st, 2013

Do you mean Dune player as a decoder?

You are correct. That did not work.

Instead I used a receiver (see post 1 in this thread). We modified it so it sends out the decoded PCM over 3 coax wires which is what Meridian used to use for their 800 upsampling player. I just tell my 861 to use the 3 coax input and it works fine. No 621 required in this example. I still use it as an HDMI switch because there are other sources that can decode.
Old Oct 1st, 2013

Ahhhh, sorry I didn't realize that the initial post was updated.

Very creative solution! However, I'm hesitant to do likewise without 7.1.
Old Oct 5th, 2013

Yes that was the only downside and I have a 7.0 system. However, the result even when its 5.1 played back as 7.0 is impressive- Meridian does a good job of creating the extra channels and there (at the time- several years now) were not that many native 7.1 soundtracks.

Bottom line for me Im locked into this because I have the Meridian speakers. For most others they can get a new processor etc.

I hope Meridian will one day do an upgraded 621 with decoding on board but Im not holding my breath...
Old Oct 5th, 2013

I hear ya Jerry...Thanks for the creative solution. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to invest heavily into Kscape without the best in sound quality.

I think I'm actually going to deal with the headache of an HTPC. If it's too frustrating, maybe I'll reconsider. Ugh.
Old Oct 5th, 2013

I wonder if its possible to get a HTPC to input a HDMI signal, decode it, output it as PCM.......
Old Oct 7th, 2013

I would say it is possible. Whether it would require custom coding or if an off the shelf product can do it is what would be important to me.

Maybe I'll ask around on the JRiver forums. Their software is pretty robust.
Old Oct 7th, 2013

Please let me know as I really have retired from all that kind of thing. But it might be worth it if I could just use it simply as a decoder. I would probably have to make an effort to get high quality components as I understand it, high quality audio and PCs dont always mix well.
Old Oct 7th, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
Please let me know as I really have retired from all that kind of thing. But it might be worth it if I could just use it simply as a decoder. I would probably have to make an effort to get high quality components as I understand it, high quality audio and PCs dont always mix well.
You're talking about going from one digital audio format to another, right? If so, can't see how a PC could noise that up in the typical PC manner.

--Donnie
Old Oct 9th, 2013

I think you are likely right- just thinking about jitter. But if this was possible the Meridian 621 can help with that.