Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Feb 10th, 2019

Default Opening up for recommendations: 1500 DVDs collecting dust

Hey all

I am opening this thread up to see what others far more versed in K-scape would suggest. I bought a grandfathered 1U server (off ebay) and when received worked perfectly...for about two weeks then the following came to be:

ErrorLog: -- ERROR --
Class: Hardware failure
Nr: 0x273
Msg: Parity error on RAM 1 (read)
SkErrorLog: -- ERROR --
Nr: 0x269
Msg: Parity error RX 1
SkDrvEvent: Port A failed.
Nr: 0x269
Msg: Parity error RX 1

I've looked to replace ram on it and it still feeds the same error. so it seems my only recourse may be to pull the working drives, send the old 1U back to Kscape and get a remanufactured/refurbished 1U.

however here is my situation and why i approached kscape in the first place: i have about 1500 old DVDs i want to get on a server to watch. and it appeared to me that my only way to effectively do this was chance a grandfathered server / player. that didnt pan out at this point.

so i am looking for some thoughts from the community on what may be my best path forward... if i own the discs, my understanding is kscape would allow me to purchase the digital copy for a discounted price so maybe buying a newer unit is a better option?

or do i roll the dice on grandfathered servers again?

anyway would love to hear what others have done or suggest i do at this point.

really appreciate opinions here and happy to walk through some scenarios etc

best

Bo
Old Feb 10th, 2019

So did you actually replace the RAM?

A couple of points to consider:

1. Depending on the age of the server and or how long it has been out of warranty, K might not offer a refurbished server. If not they will probably offer you a discount on a new 1u+ server with all new disks to trade in your old server.

2. The 'digital offers' the K system offers when you put in a disc are approximately $3 to buy DVD quality or $7-$8 for bluray quality. Not all studios/titles are supported by this. Once you buy a bluray quality offer, you would no longer need to keep the bluray disc in the vault. And for a non-grandfathered server, you would no longer need to play the dvd movie off the disc.

3. The grandfathered status on your old server is transferable. If your server is truly dead and you get either another used one that is not grandfathered or a new 1u+, you can contact K support and they will transfer the grandfathered status to your new system.

As for the way ahead... I would probably try to roll the dice on another used server. Especially if the disk set in your server was fine and large enough to meet your space needs for the near future. The broken system still has some value to use or sell as parts. But that's just my 2 cents worth.