Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General News & Misc. Items

Old 4 Days Ago

Default Question About Upgrading

I know there are many of us that have added Encore components to our Premiere systems, and some members that converted completely to Encore by upgrading their older components. There are also many owners that are still Premiere only.

My questions are for those owners still using Premiere, and in particular the "Premiere only" owners. If you don't mind sharing, what is stopping you from from upgrading to Encore? What would need to change in order for you to consider upgrading your components? (assuming you would)

(TBH, I'm trying to send a message here....)

Jim
Old 4 Days Ago

Jim
There are so many reasons it is difficult to know where to start.
I guess the best place is to explain why I bought a system 10 years ago and the value it brings to me and my family. I was simply looking for an efficient movie jukebox that enable us to watch our movies in high quality without having to keep searching around the house for discs and then watching endless adverts before getting to the film.

The premiere system - especially the grandfathered version - is ideal for me. I appreciate of course that this original concept is no longer available to new purchasers, but it was and remains what I need.

The encore offering does not work for me for so many reasons:
- I would not be able to access my dvd and blu ray content, thereby failing my ultimate reason for having a system in the first place.
- I like that I am not reliant on one single source of content - ie the K store. This is especially because, while I support the store whenever possible, it is very expensive relative to Amazon, ITunes etc.
- The UK store remains extremely limited, so the encore system seems of limited use to anyone outside North America. I note that this might change soon, but I remain pretty sceptical, given we have been waiting years for any developments.
- The encore system has no RAID and my bandwidth is slow - so if a disc fails (and I have had a few over the years), content would either be lost or it would take literally months to restore everything from the Store.
- Given K’s near-death experience a couple of years ago, I generally feel uncomfortable being totally reliant of K’s infrastructure. My general sense (and it’s just a feeling rather than any great analysis), having a premiere system combined with lots of physical media gives me more security in the event that this is repeated.
- Going to solely encore would probably mean I would have to buy again lots of content that I already own. Given my thoughts on store pricing, I would rather avoid this.

So, these are a few thoughts. I rarely post, but feel I ought to this time because I am getting a sense (especially given the question put to us) that Kaleidescape may be considering dropping the premiere option and eventually removing support. For me, this would be an absolute catastrophe given the amount I have spent both on hardware and content at the K store.

In summary, I like the system I have got. I would never have bought into the Kaleidescape ecosystem had the only offering been encore. And I would be truly upset should K withdraw support for the premiere line.

Of course, I am happy to be proved wrong on any of these points.

J
Old 4 Days Ago

Thanks for the detailed post, much appreciated.

Jim
Old 4 Days Ago

Although Encore specific, seems those of us with Strato/Alto/Disc Server costar setups might also look to remove the non Strato components at some point in the future. My guess is that 80% of what I store on the Disc Server is available in the store. I keep the Disc Server full and if I need a new slot for a movie that is not available (e.g. the last Tomb Raider movie), I replace one of the physical discs with a new purchased download. I would love to remove the Altos and Disc Server, but would likely need to purchase another Terra and then spend lots of $s at the store to bring in the content for all the movies stored in the Disc Server. Then there is the issue of movies not yet available at the store like MGM and others.... The Alto/Strato/Disc Server costar works fine, but not as well as just using a Strato, Terra, etc.
Old 4 Days Ago

Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Old 4 Days Ago

This question comes at a great time for me as I am almost full on my 3U server and just preparing to add a Terra server to my setup and was just contemplating the solution Kaleidescape came up with on merging the two system - I think it's genius (more below).

I have both systems and love it. I was one who was upset when the initial plan came out that required all content on Premiere servers to be copied over to the Encore servers since it made my initial investment almost worthless. The final solution was in my opinion was genius - very inventive way of using the Co-Star switch to pair the two systems (along with all the software updates that allowed this).

My reasons for not switching over the Encore only could be a long one so I will put the short version (TL;DR) first:

1) Titles not available in the store (especially concerts).
2) I want to optimize space (HD on 3U; 4K on Terra)
3) Scripts don't work between systems and don't work when playing a disc from a vault on the Encore system.
4) CDs - Encore doesn't do music
5) BR I own on disc from Disney that I don't want to upgrade since it will take up space on Encore that I am saving for 4K. I am updating titles as they are released in the Store in 4K.

Here is the long version:

1) Titles not available in the Store:

I have a lot of concert titles that are not available in the store. Interestingly, a lot of these are Eagle Rock Entertainment titles that aren't available yet. I also have many DVD's (mainly concerts) that are not available in the store and some that are no longer offered for sale and can only be purchased used. I also have a grandfathered system that allows me to import DVD's.

Optimize Space Between 3U and Terrea Server:

I currently have one 3U server with 56TB of storage that has 7% of free space. This will free up somewhat as I add more 4K content and delete out HD/BR content from the 3U. But basically I am at an optimum state with my 3U server filled and ready to start filling a Terra server.

Concert Scripts and Scripts from Disc Played from Vault Do Not Work:

I have lots of Scripts of concerts/musicals that I play. I probably have close to 20 different playlist of concerts that range the gamut of Jazz, Classical, Rock, Musicals, Opera, Ballet along with Music Scripts for wife, kids, grandkids. I even have multiple Scripts for the same content that is just randomly rearranged so that I don't remember the order (note to K - I would LOVE to have a randomizer for Scripts).

To have all the above Scripts play correctly I need all the content on one server. Since a lot of my concerts are not available in the Store, this means that I have to have all my concerts on the 3U server. I can’t move to an Encore system because I can't play Scenes from a disc in a Vault. Also, I am not adverse to re-purchasing content from the Store as I currently do this with all the newly added concerts (and other content also). This is just a capability issue.

Importing CDs:

I am constantly picking up CD's from garage sales, Goodwill, etc. and loading them into my server using the M700 Vault. Of course, Encore doesn't do music.

Disney:

I own a lot of Disney movies on BR. It would be a big expense to purchase again in the Store. However, if this were my only obstacle I might be willing to do it. But these movies would have to go on the Encore system taking up capacity that I want to save for 4K titles. As Disney titles are added to the Store in 4K, I am upgrading. Eventually, I will be converted over.

John

Last edited by JohnJ; 4 Days Ago at 07:37 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 4 Days Ago

Thanks John!!!

Jim
Old 3 Days Ago

JohnJ - good feedback!
Old 3 Days Ago

I fully echo John’s great feedback.

I use both Premiere and Encore products. I used to have three fully loaded 4TB 3U servers and four vaults. Today I have a grandfathered 30TB 1U+ server and 2 vaults(M700+ DV700) with three M300 players serving different zones linked to my Encore system(Terra servers and 3 Strato C players) using the Co-Star.

As John pointed out correctly, there are many things that the Encore system can’t do i.e. play music, reason why I have also kept a stand-alone M300 player only to listen to my CDs and play Zone B BDs.

I still have close to 420 BDs loaded in my vaults mainly Paramount and HBO TV series, Criterion BDs, MGM movies, History Channel documentaries, concerts from Eagle Rock that are not still available at the store, and many foreign movies that will never be available at the store. Older DVD movies and concerts are loaded as well, meaning that the 30TB 1U+ server is at 70% capacity without any Store downloads, they all go to my Terra servers.

Knowing that it is impossible to have the vaults connected to the Encore system directly and unless all of the above studios are added to the store, I believe that I will still have use of the Premiere line for many more years.
The experience that K offers for managing and viewing my BD and DVD collection is unique and I love it. I could eventually rip all the DVDs and BD foreign movies(if these are the last thing remaining in my server and vaults) to my NAS and use Plex instead but as long as I have a choice I prefer not.

With regards to the two other Encore systems that I have in other locations(Cinema One-2nd gen players) I seriously consider upgrading them to Strato S taking advantage of the latest upgrade promotion.

Kostas
Old 3 Days Ago

I'm also considering upgrading to Strato S from Cinema One but would also have to buy an alto and DV700 for my several hundred Blurays. I'm orphaned since I can't expand to a second Cinema One and Strato doesn't work w it either

wish Encore
1. could play Bluray movies from DV700 like Alto.
2. could play music. In another thread, I wished for some type of collaboration w Roon and maybe Tidal music store.
3. offered improved fault tolerance. If not RAID, then something like https://www.drobo.com/drobo/beyondraid/

I'm very interested in the Strato promotion but worry about being orphaned again. I'll still likely upgrade by June tho.