Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old 4 Days Ago

Default DV and M700 unloading discs

Hi everybody,

I have one issue with both of the above mentioned components. For some older discs, that have been in the vaults for a fairly long time the vaults tell me, that they need to be ejected. Its not a lot of discs, but 5-6 per Vault over the last two years. The problem is, that I can not get the discs in the vault, even if I clean them thoroughly. The vaults tell me right away, that the need to be ejected. Any solution for this problem?

Kind regards

Dirk
Old 3 Days Ago

Did you try checking in a general player, or better still a computer, to verify they still have readable content?
Old 3 Days Ago

This usually results from the periodic inventories conducted to insure the discs are still in the Vault. Unfortunately, this happens to most of us over time. There could be many reasons, but my understanding is that most are related to the codes on the discs no longer matching the registered versions in the database, perhaps because a different pressing of the discs, etc. (that's my description, not sure what the official description is for these discs). Could also be a problem reading the discs due to aging of the discs, or problems developing in the optical drive. I think you can send the discs to K, but check with support before sending to verify if that option still exists.

Jim
Old 3 Days Ago
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Discs get automatically queued for ejection for the following reasons:

* You deleted the content from the system's library;
* The disc could not be read when it was inserted into the optical drive for periodic validation; or,
* The disc is populating a slot that was expected to be empty.

From your description, it sounds like you are encountering the second issue. As others have indicated, this could be signs that the optical drive in your vaults are experiencing issues or it could be that the discs themselves are deteriorating.

Have you verified that your vaults' optical drives can read and identify other discs without issue? Try inserting a new disc into each of the vaults. This could help to eliminate the optical drives themselves as the point of failure.

You can also try inserting the discs that couldn't be read by the M700 into the DV700. If the same disc is rejected by both vaults, that would make it more likely that it is a disc deterioration problem.
Old 8 Hours Ago
Kaleidescape, Inc.

For what it's worth, I just had a Blu-ray disc in my vault get queued for ejection. It is unreadable in any drive I've tried, so it seems that the disc itself deteriorated.
Old 8 Hours Ago

Yup, it happens, and when it does happen to a good movie I look to the Store!

Jim