Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old 5 Days Ago

Default Costar Clarifications

Hello all. Considering a K system and have some questions.

I know I would want a Strato. I would also want a DVD/BD vault of some kind. Seems like there's two ways to do this:

1. Strato + Alto/DV700
2. Strato + M700

The M700 has a player built-in, so doesn't seem to need another player other than itself. Correct?

Additionally, do both of these options require a Costar in order for movies from the respective vault to be visible and launch-capable in the Strato UI?

I thought the Costar was needed in both scenarios. I'm getting other information that suggests option 1 does NOT need a Costar.

Thanks!
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZ View Post

I know I would want a Strato. I would also want a DVD/BD vault of some kind. Seems like there's two ways to do this:

1. Strato + Alto/DV700
2. Strato + M700

The M700 has a player built-in, so doesn't seem to need another player other than itself. Correct?

Additionally, do both of these options require a Costar in order for movies from the respective vault to be visible and launch-capable in the Strato UI?

I thought the Costar was needed in both scenarios. I'm getting other information that suggests option 1 does NOT need a Costar.

Thanks!
Option 1 definitely needs CoStar. Don't know about option 2

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:

1. Strato + Alto/DV700
2. Strato + M700

Thanks!
K has said they will not support Option 2.

John

ETA: Here is the link to the FAQ for Co-star switch. See question #16.

https://www.kaleidescape.com/4k-upgr...customers-faq/

Last edited by JohnJ; 5 Days Ago at 04:26 AM.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post

John

Doesnít that refer to the DV700 though? Question 16 means that the Strato will never direct play from a server.

The M700 though has an M class player built in and itís own hdmi port. Itís a vault and a player in one that can play discs directly itself. See the other question in the same FAQ:

ď2. Which Premiere players can be paired with Strato players?

The M300, M500 and M700 players can be paired with Strato. If you have older Premiere players, your dealer can replace them with an appropriate M-Class player.Ē
Old 5 Days Ago

The m700 requires a premier server in order to play the discs, a new one for just Blu-ray, or a grandfathered system for DVD and Blu-ray.

The premier line does not support direct disc playback.

Kevin D.
Old 4 Days Ago

You'll need a Strato, Alto, DV700 and CoStar - then it all 'just works'
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Doesnít that refer to the DV700 though? Question 16 means that the Strato will never direct play from a server.

The M700 though has an M class player built in and itís own hdmi port. Itís a vault and a player in one that can play discs directly itself. See the other question in the same FAQ:

ď2. Which Premiere players can be paired with Strato players?

The M300, M500 and M700 players can be paired with Strato. If you have older Premiere players, your dealer can replace them with an appropriate M-Class player.Ē
I guess that link is a little confusing as it is talking about pairing premiere systems with an Encore system.

The M700 when connected to an Encore system becomes a DV700 (play back is disabled. Kaleidescape had been developing a solution to connect a DV700 directly to a Strato. However, they have now cancelled this project (as listed in question 16).

Question 2 refers to ďpairingĒ a Premiere system with a Strato. The players that can be ďpairedĒ are listed but as Kevin D says above they need to be connected to a Premiere server (1U or 3U) in order to play any content.

So your main option is add an Alto/DV700 to the Strato. I donít have a Alto to verify but my understanding is if you donít add the Co-star switch you wonít be able to play discs that are loaded in the DV700 from the Strato. You should be able to all the content downloaded to the Alto on the Strato.

I hope this post isnít too confusing.

John
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post

John

DVD playback still works from a Strato/DV700 (but not bluray DV700 disks). I though they would turn it off with costar. I was playing a DVD just last night from my costar/Alto/Strato/DV700 and was surprised it played from the Strato vs. switching to the Alto. Regardless it played fine! SJ