Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Music System Questions & Issues

Old Dec 7th, 2009

Does anyone know why K does not support the SACD or DVD-Audio formats? There are many "basic" DVD players that are universal players so that would lead me to believe it is easy to do? no?

Is it a case of K not wanting to do something that they can't do to their standards of quality?

PS I read a review of the Sooloos that was very glowing in one of the magazines (either Sound & Vision or Home Theater). All positive and mentions of how the interface is fantastic, but as mentioned, the price tag for it for music only is pricey and noted as one of the only "cons" to the system.

I know that the question has been asked and re-asked, but has anyone figured out a new magic trick to get iTunes onto K besides burning a lot of CD's? sounds like that is still the only way.
Old Dec 9th, 2009

My guess is licensing. CDs are pretty much open format. The fair use doctrine covers them. But DVDs of any stripe have encryption (not sure about SACD but I would assume it does too) and under the law breaking the encryption is a no no. Kaleidescape has the legal cover to do this for DVD-Video but I do not think they have it for DVD-A nor SACD. I too would like this, but I bet the politics are super thorny and the priority right now has got to be Blu Ray. Interesting idea would be for some enterprising person to get all the DVD-As and SACDs remastered into the lossless HD formats on BR and get the discs reissued....
Old Jan 13th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwood View Post
The Sooloos works exactly the same in this respect. Downloading means ripping a cd (until the Beta is out). Also, just like the K, it will output mp3 (not uncompressed lossless). I have been told by my vendor that their customers are screaming for uncompressed lossless output as well.
This is 100% wrong. The Sooloos rips all CDs to FLAC and when you play audio back through either the digital output or one of the analog outputs, you get full uncompressed audio. You can also input audio in FLAC or WAV at up to 96/24 and it will play back in high resolution. Also, the Sooloos uses EAC to ensure that you have bit-perfect copies of the music. Sooloos simultaneously creates a 320K MP3 file of each track. The directory with these files gets mounted as a drive on your computer when you run the client and you can point iTunes or another music manager to that drive and then copy the music to your iPod or whatever player you may have. You can also access the server through a web browser and stream music to your computer at 196K VBR (including from outside your network if you know how to do port forwarding on your router). Finally, there is a free (!) iPhone controller.

The software is amazing, too. It is as good for finding music as the K interface is for finding movies. Maybe better. It isn't perfect, though. While there is amazing amounts of info in their database (so for example, you can find every album in your collection that Eric Clapton plays on), this information is stored at album level, not track level. So if you have a compilation album, you will find the album if you search for any artist on it, but it won't tell you which track the artist performed on. Also, it is a bummer that to get the full benefit of the system, you have to buy the $5,500 Control 10 touchpanel. I wish that you could do it all through a computer or a TV.
Old Jan 13th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Does anyone know why K does not support the SACD or DVD-Audio formats? There are many "basic" DVD players that are universal players so that would lead me to believe it is easy to do? no?
No. You can rip a DVD-Audio disk to a K, but all you'll get is the compressed audio, not the high resolution audio. DVD-Audio and SACD are locked up with much more sophisticated encryption/watermarking than DVDs or even Blu-Ray disks have and they simply will not play unless the disk is in the drive. The watermarking checks for a code in a hidden spot on the disk every few seconds and if it isn't found, playback stops. To date, no one has cracked either format. Moreover, Kplayers are limited to 48/18 resolution, so it even down converts the high resolution LPCM tracks on ordinary DVDs that have them. (This is particularly galling to me because whatever licensing restrictions K is bound by, they even work to prevent me from playing back non-commercial DVDs with 96/24 LPCM tracks of music that I wrote, performed and recorded in my own studio.)

The K is by far the best server solution for movies, but it leaves a lot to be desired for audiophiles. It isn't bad, mind you, but if you want something better than CD quality, if which there is a LOT out there, the K can't handle it.
Old Jan 16th, 2010

I use my Kscape for my multiroom system (i.e the 6 zones from 2 movie players and a music server) into a Linn knekt system (the linn being solely uses to switch between its 8 analog inputs and various rooms, and get the audio to the local rooms).

But I use a Linn 'DS' system for listening to music in the 2 rooms I sit to listen to music in, the quality of which is stunning and shows up the Kscape as not being that great for music.
(In the room I compared I have a Linn Klimax DS and a Movie Player 300 plugged into the same amp)

The pain of this is holding the music twice, once on the kscape and once on another fileserver.

I'd love it if the kscape would act as a file server for its music over a format that others players could use (even if 'read only') ... Never expecting them to do that with movies though

Richard
Old May 24th, 2010

Hopefully now that k has introduced Blu ray they can put some effort into music. The sooloos system just continues to get better and better, while k seems to fall further behind. As the best movie server on the Market you would think they would want to be the best in music also. It would be great to see a single zone player with output so it could be fed into the user dac of choice. It seems k does read these forum so maybe its worth listing features you would like to see in future music upgrades and new music players.
Old May 24th, 2010

This may belong in another forum, but one of my problems with K's music is that it is very tedious to get to when I'm trying to 'surf.' I have a Kscape player in my exercise room, for example, but when I want to listen to music, I find that my iPod is much easier to move around on to find songs than the Kscape is. It is tough to go through my library to find songs, unless I have created some playlist before-hand....
Old May 25th, 2010

I have the same experience via my crestron touch panels.
Old May 25th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I have the same experience via my crestron touch panels.
ditto heh
Old May 26th, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
Hopefully now that k has introduced Blu ray they can put some effort into music. The sooloos system just continues to get better and better, while k seems to fall further behind. As the best movie server on the Market you would think they would want to be the best in music also. It would be great to see a single zone player with output so it could be fed into the user dac of choice. It seems k does read these forum so maybe its worth listing features you would like to see in future music upgrades and new music players.
I agree. I tried music on the K for 2 albums and ordered a Sooloos the next day. It was great as it was, 2.0 was even better, and 2.1 is awesome. Well worth the $10k it cost me. I'd have gladly paid that $10K to Kaleidescape instead if they had a decent music system.