Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > Hardware & Setup Threads > Kaleidescape Hardware & Setup

Old Jun 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy123 View Post
In addition to the audio dropouts, I also had a complete freeze that EVENTUALLY started playing again.
I played that movie from my Alto as I had watched it from my Strato. Within the first 5 minutes I had an audio dropout (I did try and hit the right arrow 4 or 5 times but was a little late after the dropout), within the next 5 minutes the picture froze and it indicated "difficulty reading movie" (hit 55555 as I was on a different part of my control system page). None of this happened when I watched John Wick 2 from my Strato. Watched another 30 minutes with no issues. Assume this movie is stored on one of my Altos. SJ
Old Jun 11th, 2017

Just as another data point, I just watched John Wick 2 with my M700 and had no problems.

John
Old Jun 12th, 2017

The issue is the RS20i unfortunately. It either needs a firmware update or will need a new HDMI board.
Old Jun 12th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy123 View Post
I continue to have audio drop outs and freezes with my Alto with downloads. Just watched John Wick 2 and there were many (I just finished watching it. It is 1:54PM on Saturday, June10th.) This Alto is a replacement so is very new. I can only assume it has something to do with my internet connection but very, very very frustrating. Doesn't seem to happen (at least as fr3quently) when I load a disc or use the DV700. It makes me want to quit buying anything from the store and certainly never consider a Strato.

I know I can delete it and re-downlaod but that unacceptable - and may not fix the issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Someone said previously it might be the RS20i. I get no dropouts from an Oppo 203, DirecTV or Amazon.

HELP !!!
Unfortunately there is a known issue between Datasat and Kaleidescape (at least here in the UK). You need to update the firmware on the RS20i and if the issue persists you will need a replacement HDMI board.
Old Jun 12th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmapit View Post
Unfortunately there is a known issue between Datasat and Kaleidescape (at least here in the UK). You need to update the firmware on the RS20i and if the issue persists you will need a replacement HDMI board.
I have sent an email to my contacts at Datasat with the above quote attached. I will wait for his response. I will also contact another K User who has a Datasat RS20i and see what he has to say on the subject.

Thanks for your response ... I think
Old Jun 12th, 2017

Interesting, I have the RS20i in my theater system, have for a couple of years, and have experienced few problems with dropouts, and none that I'm aware of from my K systems (both Premiere and Encore). I do keep the firmware up to date, and did add the Atmos card when it became available.

Jim
Old Jun 12th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
Interesting, I have the RS20i in my theater system, have for a couple of years, and have experienced few problems with dropouts, and none that I'm aware of from my K systems (both Premiere and Encore). I do keep the firmware up to date, and did add the Atmos card when it became available.

Jim
It seems to only be certain firmware revisions and certain HDMI board variations that are affected. The Atmos add-on is not affected so you should be all set
Old Jun 12th, 2017

A response from some on the AVS Forum is attached who also experienced multiple audio dropouts on this movie. Don't know if he uses Datasat and have asked another person who IS a K/Datasat user if he has this issue. And, FWIW, I have the very latest firmware updates on my system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 7.43.15 AM.jpg (169.8 KB, 8 views)
Old Jun 12th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelife View Post
Interesting, I have the RS20i in my theater system, have for a couple of years,..... and did add the Atmos card when it became available.

Jim
Quite the combination, isn't it? I had a chance to play with the DTS:X add on. It will blow your mind! Best sound I have ever heard in my theater, and probably, the best HT audio I have heard anywhere. They hit it out of the ballpark - even though it has taken forever to get it to the market.
Old Jun 12th, 2017

I wonder what affect our setups have on these dropouts (audio/video), most of us have several devices in the chain, VP's, switches, long cable runs w/extenders, AP's, multiple players, ethernet connections, fiber, whatever....

Only asking because I just spoke with two other RS20i owners (we sold them those units) that also have Encore and Kaleidescape players, and one has a Lumagen Rad Pro, and neither of them have experienced any dropouts during playback, including John Wick 2. I watched it when released as well, and didn't have any dropouts.

Jim