Kaleidescape Owners' Forum   Kaleidescape, Inc. Kaleidescape, Inc.

Go Back   Kaleidescape Owners' Forum > General Kaleidescape Usage Threads > Tips, Tricks & Discoveries

Old Jan 6th, 2019

Lightbulb Workaround found! Non-catalogued Blu-Ray cannot be played due to region mismatch

Hello,

I previously posted about the problem with Region B Blu-ray discs that are not recognized (not catalogued by Kaleidescape). Some of these discs would not play when pressing "Play Disc" and I ended up with a message that the Blue Ray region does not match, although I have both Region A and Region B players in the system.

Today I realized that this problem (of course!) only happens on my Region A player and the movie plays fine on the Region B player!

With this in mind, I started the movie on the Region B player and paused it. After this, I can resume it on my Region A player and all is good...

A good workaround for a frustrating issue.
Old Jan 16th, 2019

Thumbs up

Wow - very clever workaround.
Let's hope it's not a loophole that Kaleidescape now has to go back and fix now that it's out there.

Old Jan 16th, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Wow - very clever workaround.
Let's hope it's not a loophole that Kaleidescape now has to go back and fix now that it's out there.
The loophole is the "Play Movie" feature that lets us skip all the pesky checks and code in the intro/trailer section. I doubt very much that K-scape would remove this feature.

The problem is that "Play Movie" does not exist for non-catalogued discs, which caused quite a bit of frustration until I figured out this workaround
Old Feb 19th, 2019
Kaleidescape, Inc.

You can also manually enter the region for the disc using the browser interface, in the same place that you go to enter other disc information like title or cover art. The system just needs to know in advance what region disc you're playing.
Old Feb 19th, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
You can also manually enter the region for the disc using the browser interface, in the same place that you go to enter other disc information like title or cover art. The system just needs to know in advance what region disc you're playing.
Oh! Where/how is this done? Is this the browser interface you're referring to? I just can't see where to enter the region...

Last edited by Peter Nielsen; Feb 19th, 2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2019

Exclamation

Hey Mike, looking at a different movie, I see the selector you're referring to. For some reason the region selector is present for some unknown region movies and not for others.

It looks like the movie above (Stereo) is partly catalogued. There is a "Synopsis" and other info. However it does not have the "Play Movie" option. Apparently it was catalogued without a disc at hand (no region info) and can only be played on a "B" player since there is no region selector or "Play Movie" option that lets us skip the disc software check.

Apparently the partial cataloguing left the movie with Unknown region, but due to the partial cataloguing logic in the browser software removes the Region drop-down menu. This looks like a bug to me - the region drop-down should always be present if the region is unknown, right?

Attached Images
File Type: png hevireissu.png (81.0 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Peter Nielsen; Feb 19th, 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2019
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Let's use a different term than "Cataloging", since that is the name of a different feature on Kaleidescape systems (to add movies to your library without importing the discs).

If a movie has media guide information entered by our Media Guide Services team, then you can't change the disc region in the browser interface. We enter region information when we know it, but in some cases we don't.

If you would be so kind as to send me the serial number of your server in a private message, I'll ask the guide services team to enter the region for this disc as B for you.
Old Feb 19th, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
If a movie has media guide information entered by our Media Guide Services team, then you can't change the disc region in the browser interface. We enter region information when we know it, but in some cases we don't.
Yes, this is obviously how it works. However, since the region information was not known when your Media Guide Services team did this, it really makes no sense that the information they added removed the selector. Since they did not enter region info, the selector is needed and should still be present. Definitely an undesired side effect, or as some of us prefer to call it "accidental bug"

It would be better if the region selector was always present when the region is "Unknown" and/or when "Play Movie" is missing. Basing the region selector presence on either one (or both) of these criteria would be perfect (or at least better than it's now).

Thanks,
Peter
Old Feb 19th, 2019
Kaleidescape, Inc.

Agreed, sorry, I meant to include more information in that posting but was distracted. Anyway, as you've already figured out, once a movie has media guide information, the browser interface suppresses that region popup. I've filed an enhancement request to change this for discs that have not been fully processed with start bookmarks. In the meantime, if you'd like to send me that serial number, we'd be happy to correct the data for this disc.