• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato not recognising disc vaults in Kal app

Chaos Theory

Hi there,

New member here but I've been a Kal owner for several years now. My setup comprises a 3U, a M500 player, 2 disc vaults (a DV700 and a M700) and most recently (like, last month!) a Strato.

Sorry if this has been asked before but my Strato doesn't seem to be recognising either of the disc vaults in the Kal app. The 3U is switched off. But if I look at the Strato in the browser interface, ALL the blu Rays in both vaults are listed as present. I just can't play them in the app because all it is currently showing is the three preloaded demo movies.

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.

I ought to point out that if the Strato is turned off and the 3U is turned on, all of the DVDs and blu rays are listed in the app and can be played from there.

Small correction to my first post. With the Strato turned off and the 3U turned on, all of the blu rays in both vaults are listed but greyed out. I have to go to the browser interface for the 3U and add both vaults as components each time.

There is no link to been the new and legacy gear, at least presently. The new equipment Strato and Terra are for downloaded store material only. They don't play vault material unless I've missed the boat on the way the equipment is arrayed for copy protection purposes.

So those of us with both types of gear currently have two distinct systems. No idea how the troubles at K will impact it, but originally the plan was to have a software drop this summer that would have merged the new and legacy gear and play the output of both systems through the Strato. A caveat to merging the systems was that all store content had to migrate to the Strato/Terra. The 3U and changers could then import and store DVD and Blu_Ray material (assuming they were grandfathered gear) and feed the Strato via the 3U.

I'm bit confused about what you seem to be seeing on your intranet browser interface. You obviously had the legacy gear first and it's likely what you call up as an IP address. That should show all your movies stored on the 3U and vaults only. At the top of the page you should be able to select the Strato as the "other system," whatever you named it. You should only be able to see movies on the Strato.

Last edited:
If you group a DV700 with a Strato, the Strato will catalog the discs. This adds them to the Strato's notion of what's in your library, and enables disc-to-digital transactions on the Movie Store.

At the present time (kOS 7.2.x), Strato does not have the necessary software support to play DVD or Blu-ray discs -- only Movie Store content. So, the Strato does not display the cataloged titles in the onscreen display, because there's no way to play them.

Full support for disc playback via DV700 was planned for kOS 7.3, which was nearing completion at the time that Kaleidescape suspended operations and laid off most staff. If they're able to restart the engineering operations and finish 7.3, then once your Strato updates, you'll see those titles appear in the onscreen display, and assuming that the DV700 is still grouped with the Strato, you'll be able to play those titles.

Hi there and thanks for the info. My installer did say that a software update would offer full integration between the two setups but I couldn't understand why the browser was showing the vaults but the app wasn't.

In answer to your question, yes there are two distinct IP addresses and two different browser interfaces. With the 3U, the discs in the vaults are 'greyed out' until they come fully online. Up to that point, they are listed and can be selected but it says the disc must be inserted into a player in order to watch. After about 5 minutes of warm up, everything is as if the Strato didn't exist. But if memory serves, if I leave the Strato switched on, the discs in the vaults stay 'greyed out'.

Well, fingers crossed for a positive outcome to all of this. In the meantime, I guess I'd better buy a couple more HDDs for the 3U!

Hi there and thanks for the info. My installer did say that a software update would offer full integration between the two setups but I couldn't understand why the browser was showing the vaults but the app wasn't.

In answer to your question, yes there are two distinct IP addresses and two different browser interfaces. With the 3U, the discs in the vaults are 'greyed out' until they come fully online. Up to that point, they are listed and can be selected but it says the disc must be inserted into a player in order to watch. After about 5 minutes of warm up, everything is as if the Strato didn't exist. But if memory serves, if I leave the Strato switched on, the discs in the vaults stay 'greyed out'.

Well, fingers crossed for a positive outcome to all of this. In the meantime, I guess I'd better buy a couple more HDDs for the 3U!

Good luck! Fortunately for you an expert followed me into this thread.

Do you own many store downloads in your legacy system? I almost bought a number of drives to fill up my 3U, but once I understood my store content would be moving to the new gear, I realized I'd have plenty of space freed up eventually. I think I have about 320 movies from the store. The reality for me, was I needed a Terra more than more 3U HDDs. A Strato (6TB model) simply didn't have the capacity to hold by store downloads.

The Strato inability to play DV700 disks is a huge issue for me. I spoke to K support prior to purchasing and was told it was coming in 7.3 "in a few weeks". I went ahead and purchased and now (like many others), have something that doesn't work. I hope if K gets going again, that this becomes one of the highest priorities to complete. SJ

Actually, I haven't bought any movies from the store so far. I go to the cinema quite a lot so I've reduced the number of discs I buy nowadays. Lots of films I know I wouldn't watch again! But I got a good deal on the Strato on the understanding that I could eventually use the onboard 6TB to store discs inserted into the vaults. I have a few blu ray box sets (Breaking Bad, X-Files etc) that could be used to fill up the newest vault. And with the 4K capabilities, it seemed to make sense than buying more HDDs for the 3U. Then all the problems surfaced with Kaleidescape themselves just after I got the Strato :(

Let me expand a bit on what Kaleidescape was planning before the recent events.

kOS 7.3: Support for disc playback from DV700 on Strato. Also, UI improvements and changes to support 4K content with high dynamic range (HDR).

Post-7.3: Support for the Premiere-to-Encore "upgrade", which would allow you to play all of the content stored on a Premiere system on your Encore players (including Strato). However, it was never part of the plan that Encore's storage (like the 6TB in your Strato) would be usable for imported disc content. If you wanted to continue importing discs after doing the upgrade/migration, you would import them onto the Premiere system. All storage in the Encore players and servers is for Movie Store content only. See the linked document there for a fairly detailed explanation.

So, that was the plan. Assuming that things get going again, I imagine that the schedule will be a bit different, but the general outline is likely to be similar (although that's just my guess).

Thanks Mike. Having 7.3 would be huge for several of us. Even though my projector and setup can handle HDR and look forward to that, the disc playback from the DV700 is more important as that $$$ piece of equipment is pretty much useless (except the cataloging component) for us Strato only customers (I have two Stratos). As I stated, I literally spoke to the support people about that prior to purchasing earlier THIS month. Guess I learned a lesson, but have faith in your company to pull out of this. Hope for the best for you and the other employees. Nothing but praise for the support I received from all of you. SJ

Yeah, I'm absolutely heartsick over the situation folks like you are in right now. Believe me, everybody at Kaleidescape was absolutely aware of how important 7.3 was. I checked a bunch of code in (for the HDR features) the day before the layoff, in fact.

So would 7.3 have allowed playback through the Strato of content stored on a 3U? By that I mean DVDs AND blu rays that have been imported into the HDDs? All my DVDs and blu rays are currently on the 3U but obviously, the bds have to be present in the vaults in order for the recorded version to playback.

Sorry for all the questions. I know this must be really hard for you guys with what has happened and I do appreciate the feedback (as I'm sure all Kal owners do right now).

No, that's the upgrade/migration feature I mentioned above as coming after 7.3. Check out the linked document for details.

Hi everyone, new here and 2nd day with a K system. I just purchased one yesterday, and yes the salesman did tell me about the terrible situation everyone is in at the company and I am hoping for the best!!!

I have over 600 dvds (500 dvd, 100 or so blu-rays) and really wanted a way to easily play them all. I used to have a Sony 400 disk dvd player but that thing was a pain in the butt to keep organized.

So yesterday I purchased:
DV700 320 disk vault
4 strato players
1 24tb Terra server

I was told:
1) I could play my disks easily anywhere a strato player was
2) I could copy all my dvd's into the Terra & keep my blu-rays in the vault

Well I can't do either. It looks like according to this thread, I would need version 7.3 to play the dvd's on the strato - Is this correct? If I could find an Alto, would it do it, or would it be the same outcome?

2) How do I import/copy my dvd's onto the Terra. It looks like this is not possible either. It looks like I would need a 1U or 3U (I don't know the difference) to do this. If I get one of these, would I be able to watch it through the Strato?

I need help, because Magnolia Best Buy told me this would all work (I understood about the company), but right now it is not working like the salesman explained it would, and I have a very limited time to return everything and wait this out. But I did get a significant discount yesterday, but like I said, nothing is working like how I wanted it to.

3) Is the Terra server just for downloads from the movie store. If it is, I have very slow internet here and that would never work. I downloaded one movie last night in just SD quality and it took 6 hours (UHD said 68 hours!). So it looks like I need to return at least this Terra server?

Thank you so much for someone's help and advice!

Hi everyone, new here and 2nd day with a K system. I just purchased one yesterday, and yes the salesman did tell me about the terrible situation everyone is in at the company and I am hoping for the best!!!

I have over 600 dvds (500 dvd, 100 or so blu-rays) and really wanted a way to easily play them all. I used to have a Sony 400 disk dvd player but that thing was a pain in the butt to keep organized.

So yesterday I purchased:
DV700 320 disk vault
4 strato players
1 24tb Terra server

I was told:
1) I could play my disks easily anywhere a strato player was
2) I could copy all my dvd's into the Terra & keep my blu-rays in the vault

Well I can't do either. It looks like according to this thread, I would need version 7.3 to play the dvd's on the strato - Is this correct? If I could find an Alto, would it do it, or would it be the same outcome?

2) How do I import/copy my dvd's onto the Terra. It looks like this is not possible either. It looks like I would need a 1U or 3U (I don't know the difference) to do this. If I get one of these, would I be able to watch it through the Strato?

I need help, because Magnolia Best Buy told me this would all work (I understood about the company), but right now it is not working like the salesman explained it would, and I have a very limited time to return everything and wait this out. But I did get a significant discount yesterday, but like I said, nothing is working like how I wanted it to.

3) Is the Terra server just for downloads from the movie store. If it is, I have very slow internet here and that would never work. I downloaded one movie last night in just SD quality and it took 6 hours (UHD said 68 hours!). So it looks like I need to return at least this Terra server?

Thank you so much for someone's help and advice!

First Welcome to Kaleidescape. There are a lot of great things about the system but it seems that there is a lot of confusion with the various product lines and what they can do and you've been given some incorrect information.

1. The Encore product line (Alto, Strato, and Terra) only store content downloaded from the Kaleidescape Store on their hard drive.
2. The Copying of DVD's to the hard drive of any product sold after November 30th, 2014 is illegal. There are legacy products in the field that have this capability which could, with Kaleidescape open, be traded-up to newer products with this right, but on anything new that you're going to purchase from a retailer at this time it is unlikely to have those rights.
Blu-Rays can be copied to the premiere line system 1U or 3U server BUT require that the disc be in the vault for disc presence.
3. The Strato cannot currently playback from the disc vault. Hopefully, Kaleidescape will reopen and the software roadmap that was established will resume and that functionality will be added. The Alto CAN playback content from the disc vault.
4. The Encore line cannot currently read content from the premiere line products. This was slated for software version 7.4 but is as with 7.3. We don't yet know if software development will resume in the same manner if Kaleidescape opens.

The Kaleidescape Experience is amazing and hard to walk away from once you have it in place as long as you know what it can do. With your slow ISP you may be best going into the premiere line of products or waiting for the 7.4 integration if that happens.
Hope this clarifies.

Thanks ShotInTheDark,

What is Premier vs. the Encore line? I just need Blu-ray quality, not 4k.

1) It seems to me I should return the 24tb Terra server as it would take a lifetime at my slow ISP speeds to fill that thing up even if the movie store stayed up and running forever.

2) I should return my 4 strato's and hopefully find 4 Alto's, and they would work with my DV700 vault. Or should I get the M300/M500 players? Or I could wait it out for 7.3 and see.

3) I might need to get another DV700 vault at some time to hold the rest of disks, but for now, this should be a good start.

Does that sound about right? I'm not concerned with the 4K capability, it was just opened floor models available, and I was told it all work together.

Thanks

Are you located in the U.S.? (Sorry, to lazy to check you IP)

Jim

I just sent a PM with my phone number, you should already have my email.

Jim

Back